booting to cd fails...

Kevin Foote

Nov 12, 2003, 7:16:58 PM11/12/03
Hello all,
not sure if this is a good place to post this but thought id start
here anyway.
I've got an Alpha machine here that im trying to load a fresh copy of
FreeBSD or NetBSD onto. I try to boot with this command
boot dka0 -FLAGS '' -FILE '' (according to FBSD docs) but alwayse get
a failure.

The boot sequence finds dka0 as a bootable device and jumps to
bootstrap but it fails at:

This happens on all bootable cds I've made [FBSD 4.9,5.1 NetBSD..]
does anyone have an idea as to what is going on here.. ?? Bad CD
drive??

oh yea if there is a better place to post this message to let me know
comp.???