automount with C2 security enabled

Urs Traber

Oct 9, 2003, 2:11:47 PM10/9/03
Hello all,

I was experimenting a bit with the automount deamon on two DU 4.0E
systems. Both systems run with C2 security enabled.

The NFS server is also NIS master from where the maps auto.master,
auto.home (an indirect map) and auto.direct are distributed.

All works well on the NFS client (also NIS client) as long as I work
as root:
e.g. cd into an "indirect" mounted directory (cd /home/urs) mounts
server:/usr/users/urs on /tmp_mnt/home/urs and a link is created
/home/urs -> /tmp_mnt/home/urs
(/home/urs shows rwxrwxrwx and /tmp_mnt/home/urs rwx------
permissions)

However, when I try to log in as user 'urs' the system bails out with:

No directory!
logging in with home = '/'

...blabla...

statfs() : in login : Permission denied
rlogin : connection closed

Being back as root /tmp_mnt/home/urs is still mounted. Logging in with
server:/usr/users/urs hard-mounted on /home/urs worked.

Now I wonder what the login process on a system with C2 enabled is
doing. Does it check if the user's home directoy is really a directoy
and breaks up if its e.g. a link? Or do I simply have a silly
permission problem?

Any clues are greatly appreciated

Thanx Urs