DEC OSF/1 routing/firewalls?

Adam Price

Jun 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/22/00

"Mark M." <anon...@anonymous.com> wrote in message news:b3s35.11143$Xe.2...@brie.direct.ca...
> No responses on any OSF threads so will try again here.
>
> We have two Alphastation 4/166's with DEC OSF/1 (not sure which version, but
> it was updated about 2 years ago).
>
> Each station has two NIC's, (one for the user side of the network, the other
> for the field PLC and heavy equipment side of the network). No routing is
> taking place because an Industrial Process Control database resides on each
> Alpha to process requests, (the user asks a database to do something. The
> database then goes out the other NIC to do it. So no routing is actually
> taking place because the packets don't get across).
>
> Question #1: Is it possible to do routing across the Alphastations via
> OSF/1? How?
>
> Question #2: Can anyone suggest firewall software for the OSF/1 that would
> permit only certain select users to be routed across the Alpha's.
>

> Thanks very much,
> Mark M.

You probably got no response because comp.unix.osf.* is a dead hierarchy.
It was replaced by the newsgroup comp.unix.tru64 in the spring of this year.
However on modern versions you can use the following command to enable routing
from next boot:
rcmgr set ROUTER yes

To enable it now until next boot, you can use the command
iprsetup -s

Read the man page for iprsetup, and look at the startup file /sbin/init.d/inet
for more information, and use comp.unix.tru64 for any other questions.
Oh and send your newsadmin a mail telling him to update his newsgroups list.
Adam Price
(Followups set to comp.unix.tru64)