ftp logging - how ?

1 view

fred

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
I need to be able to log all ftp accesses (including what files pulled) to
both a Solaris 7 box and a tru64 4f box.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction please

E-Mail asha...@ordsvy.gov.uk please

Gopala

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
on Tru64 box add this line:
to: /etc/syslog.conf
daemon.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/daemon.log
do some ftp and check that file.. it will work. Beware of the format of
the time. the Blankspace is two/three tabs..

Sun: Same as Tru64 ( read "man syslog.conf" ) destination file may
change to your taste.

Thanks
Gopi

n article <39104...@nnrp1.news.uk.psi.net>,

--
Gopala Molakaluri
Michigan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Logan Shaw

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
In article <39104...@nnrp1.news.uk.psi.net>, fred <asdasd> wrote:
>I need to be able to log all ftp accesses (including what files pulled) to
>both a Solaris 7 box and a tru64 4f box.
>
>Can anyone help or point me in the right direction please

You probably want to replace the vendor-supplied ftpd with
something that has the features you need. Some choices are
wuftpd and proftpd. Since I don't know the URL for wuftpd
and since proftpd is sort of wuftpd's successor anyway,
I'll just give its URL, which is http://www.proftpd.net/ .

Hope that helps.

- Logan

Javier de Burgos

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
fred wrote:

> I need to be able to log all ftp accesses (including what files pulled) to
> both a Solaris 7 box and a tru64 4f box.

Add the '-l' option in /etc/inetd.conf:

ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/ftpd ftpd -l

--
Regards,
Javier AKA jdeb...@NOSPAMcanal21.com AKA jdeb...@NOSPAMalehop.com

Thommy M. Malmström

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
fred wrote:

> I need to be able to log all ftp accesses (including what files pulled) to
> both a Solaris 7 box and a tru64 4f box.
>
> Can anyone help or point me in the right direction please
>
> E-Mail asha...@ordsvy.gov.uk please

You can try this (from sunsolve.sun.com INFODOC ID: 11991):

BTW, always try SunSolve first, it really has a lot of good information...

/Thommy M.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

3.3: How to Start Logging with FTP?

You can log ftpd connections, which tell you which
hosts have connected to your system using this procedure.

STEP 1: add the -l option to ftpd in the
/etc/inetd.conf file as follows:

ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/in.ftpd in.ftpd -l

(This is the line from the Solaris inetd.conf SunOS is very
similar, though the location of in.ftpd is different.)

STEP 2:
You will also need to modify syslog.conf by adding the following
line (make sure you use TABs and not SPACES - especially if you cut
and paste this line):

daemon.info /var/adm/ftp.log

STEP 3:
Create the /var/adm/ftp.log file:
touch /var/adm/ftp.log

STEP 4:
Restart both inetd and the syslogd:

%%%% kill -HUP inetd-pid
%%%% kill -HUP syslog-pid

ftp should begin logging to /var/adm/ftp.log immediately.

If you have other daemons which also log information messages, you
will find that they get logged to this file as well. If this is the
case, you will probably want to turn off informational messages on
your other daemons by default standard Solaris daemons will not log
informational messages.

You can view more detail on ftp logins to an FTP server.
SunOS ftpd logs into /var/adm/wtmp.
Solaris ftpd logs into /var/adm/wtmpx.
You do NOT need to enable the ftpd logging described above.
You can view this detailed info using the "last" command.
Here is some example output from last grep ftp on Solaris:

hackley ftp mercedes Tue Apr 2 10:52 - 10:52 (00:00)
hackley ftp mercedes Thu Mar 28 10:30 - 10:30 (00:00)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
--
Thommy M. Malmström
Hardeberga Kyrkby 415

http://home.swipnet.se/greco
mailto:Thommy.M....@swipnet.se

Thommy.M.Malmstrom.vcf

Lussan, Dung [MLV:0000:EXCH]

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
Logan Shaw wrote:

> In article <39104...@nnrp1.news.uk.psi.net>, fred <asdasd> wrote:
> >I need to be able to log all ftp accesses (including what files pulled) to
> >both a Solaris 7 box and a tru64 4f box.
> >
> >Can anyone help or point me in the right direction please
>
> You probably want to replace the vendor-supplied ftpd with
> something that has the features you need. Some choices are
> wuftpd and proftpd. Since I don't know the URL for wuftpd
> and since proftpd is sort of wuftpd's successor anyway,
> I'll just give its URL, which is http://www.proftpd.net/ .

try also on this site ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd