Where to find MachTen?

Max

Jan 25, 2007, 9:12:04 AM1/25/07
Hi all,

does anyone know where I can find a copy of Power MachTen 4.1.4 ?

I know it's still for sale, and I usually pay for the commercial
software I use, but I honestly can't fork out $99 for a product
that comes with NO technical support and hasn't been updated in
12 years.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Max

Tenzin

Jan 29, 2007, 6:25:12 AM1/29/07
Max,

Hi, you are one of three people left in this group. I hope we don't
get axed like some of the NeXTSTEP groups have been :)

MachTen 4.14 was updated relative to previous versions of MachTen, so
is a 2000 era Unix. It is about equivalent to Redhat and SuSE 5 or 6
Linux, and is version compatible with Rhapsody 5.1 aka DR2. and pretty
much with the BSD underlying Rhapsody 5.3 aka Mac OS X Server, e.g,
matching GCC and so on. This is why I bought it, compatibility.

If this is useful to you, but not worth $99 USD, register on Tenon's
site for the trial version, and you will have two weeks usage of the
full product. If you go for this, I recommend installing it on Mac OS
8.6 and no higher, it is in my experience not so stable on Mac OS 9.

While $99 for a discontinued and unsupported product might seem steep,
it used to cost about $400. Codebuilder is nearly everything MachTen
is, including X11, and about $50 instead now. Any additional apps,
tools and X11 clients for MachTen you find will work in Codebuilder. I
have both installed and have run them concurrenlty on the same machine
as separate virtual Unixes fine.

There were a few hundred members of this group in the past. It might
be worth searching for second hand sales of the full MachTen or/and
Codebuilder install CD and serial number in online auctions, LowendMac
and so on.

Tenzin

pat...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2007, 4:25:43 PM2/27/07

Tenzin wrote:

> If this is useful to you, but not worth $99 USD, register on Tenon's
> site for the trial version, and you will have two weeks usage of the
> full product. If you go for this, I recommend installing it on Mac OS
> 8.6 and no higher, it is in my experience not so stable on Mac OS 9.

You mean the product register web page?

I have sent email to the sales department years ago asking for a
demo. They reply that they cannot send out any disc, because the
discs are reserved for people who want to buy the product. They will
not make any new discs and the number of discs left is very minimal.

Pat