Cross-compilation PPC/M68k

scott

Apr 2, 2003, 9:19:08 PM4/2/03
Hiya,

I have an old PPC and several old M68k macs around and I'm considering
using MachTen for some development of M68k apps.

I'm trying to work out if I should get Pro MachTen or Power MachTen?

If I get PowerMachTen, can I use the PPC to complie M68k runnable? The
PPC is quicker and has a bigger screen ;-)

Do I need any "agent" software on the M68ks? I'm thinking of OS type
applications and not running Mac OS on the M68ks.

Thanks,
Scott

PS: Can I run MachTen without Mac OS?

delgoeth

Apr 3, 2003, 4:25:06 AM4/3/03
Hi there,

I'm a Machten newbie myself, but I think I can answer some of your
questions.

First, Machten runs as an extension to the MacOS, so you need the
MacOS to run Machten. You can, however, set CPU priority, meaning
that the system will dedicate more or less CPU cycles to the MachTen
OS than to the MacOS depending on your needs. So, conceivably,
it's possible to boot into the MacOS, set the relevant control panel
so that MachTen takes up all the CPU's attention, then start up
MachTen.

As for cross-compiling, I have Power MachTen, and I think it's possible.
I haven't researched too thoroughly, but I remember reading something
somewhere to that effect. You may have to bug the Tenon folks on
this one.

Finally, I don't know if it's even possible to buy Pro MachTen now.
Power MachTen was discontinued prior to the end of last year. Since
it was the successor to Pro MachTen, it follows that Pro must have
been discontinued prior to the arrival of Power.

Erik