I'm strugeling for 4 weeks now.. make my day :)

Bas Keur

Oct 6, 2001, 6:00:43 AM10/6/01
Ok , a very nice guy mr X gave my an Digital DEC 3000 600 175Mhz 64mb
(My first very own 100% unix machiene whoohoo)
I even have the licences from oracle 7 and some other stuff the OS is OSF/1
v3.0
( What was a cool thing 1st showed me you REALY need to use these things
with a
so called PAM tool... ok .. hmz no prob. lets look at the man pages,,, `not
found`
Fact i need to study more Digital ,no problem but in the meanwhile it seems
that the DEC 3000
is like the worst (!pick) when wanting to install Linux ... ( Everybody
started vague from here)
Works ,wont ,well a little ,no way... HELP :)
I mounted a SCSI ZIP on it .....

OpenBSD booting Kernel 1 image <sqiunk crash>
OpenBSD booting Kernel 2 image <sqiunk crash>
OpenBSD snapshot booting Kernel 1 image <sqiunk crash>
OpenBSD snapshot booting Kernel 2 image <sqiunk crash>
Redhat 7.1 Alpha boot<sqiunk crash>
NetBSD 5.1 booting yes yes < going to serial now>

WRAHH i have all except those DEC cables.

Just point the way to go PLEASE :)

Bas

Dennis Grevenstein

Oct 6, 2001, 7:35:19 AM10/6/01
Bas Keur wrote:

> Fact i need to study more Digital ,no problem but in the meanwhile it seems
> that the DEC 3000
> is like the worst (!pick) when wanting to install Linux ... ( Everybody
> started vague from here)
> Works ,wont ,well a little ,no way... HELP :)

Linux won't run on these machines right now.
NetBSD has some limited support, but I am not a BSD expert.
OSF1 aka DEC Unix aka Tru64 will run up to release 5.1. This
box will also run OpenVMS and it's probably used best with VMS.

> NetBSD 5.1 booting yes yes < going to serial now>
>
> WRAHH i have all except those DEC cables.

Attach a terminal to the serial port. I am not famliliar
with the 3000/600, so I don't know if you need a standard
null modem cable or a special MMJ cable.

HTH
Dennis

--
How to understand political speeches?
- pick a phrase, X

Emmanuel Dreyfus

Oct 20, 2001, 7:35:58 AM10/20/01

[DEC3000]

See http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/pmax

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
ma...@netbsd.org

Message has been deleted

Dennis Grevenstein

Oct 20, 2001, 1:37:59 PM10/20/01
Martin Piskernig wrote:

> The DEC3000 has no MIPS architecture.
> But it runs the alpha port fine on one of my machines here.

Do they have a reasonably working X Server already?

Dennis

Message has been deleted