no route to host (adsl freebsd)

boavista

May 24, 2001, 3:30:16 PM5/24/01
Hello
I've got the following problem
I've got a freebsd 4.2 computer and try to connect it
with a adsl modem
the connection between the bsd computer and the modem
works
but i can't go outside
when i try to ping to a ip i get the following message
no route to host
does somebody knows where the problem might be

thanks

Dean Thompson

May 24, 2001, 9:19:40 PM5/24/01
to boavista

Hi!,

> I've got the following problem. I've got a freebsd 4.2 computer and try to

> connect it with a adsl modem the connection between the bsd computer and
> the modem works but i can't go outside when i try to ping to a ip i get the
> following message no route to host does somebody knows where the problem
> might be

It sounds like when you formed the connection, you didn't have a default route
created. Check the configuration you are using for the ADSL modem and make
sure that you have inserted a default route on your BSD box which passes all
traffic from your BSD box to the modem for processing.

See ya

Dean Thompson

| Dean Thompson | E-mail - Dean.T...@csse.monash.edu.au |
| Bach. Computing (Hons) | ICQ - 45191180 |
| PhD Student | Office - <Off-Campus> |
| School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office) |
| MONASH (Caulfield Campus) | Fax - +61 3 9903 1077 |
| Melbourne, Australia | |

aykat sue

May 25, 2001, 12:15:02 PM5/25/01
Dean Thompson <Dean.T...@csse.monash.edu.au> wrote in message news:<3B0DB32C...@csse.monash.edu.au>...

Check your /etc/rc.conf
1.Your IP is on the same net?
2.You have default router="www.xxx.yyy.zzz"?

try 'traceroute' 198.133.166.233
if you are a user of an excellent OS!

J.C.A.

Jun 2, 2001, 3:46:02 PM6/2/01
"boavista" <boav...@home.nl> wrote in message news:<cjdP6.111442$y7.6...@dbsch1.home.nl>...

Do you have gateway_enable="YES" in your /etc/rc.conf?
Do you have a default route set on the FreeBSD box?

What's the output of netstat -nr?
- -
John A.
nx...@my-deja.com

boavista

Jun 4, 2001, 10:20:37 AM6/4/01

"J.C.A." <nx...@my-deja.com> schreef in bericht
already resoveld the problem
i,m using netgraph right now and it's working
the only problem is i can't get my nic in to half duplex

greetings

Jan