Math Software

Mobasher Sobhan

Nov 4, 2001, 1:00:06 AM11/4/01
Are there any Mathematics software that comes Unix(s) or Linux(s)?
Softwares that compare to Mathematica, Maple etc?

jpd

Nov 4, 2001, 11:19:31 AM11/4/01
On Sun, 04 Nov 2001 06:00:06 GMT, Mobasher Sobhan <mob...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Are there any Mathematics software that comes Unix(s) or Linux(s)?
> Softwares that compare to Mathematica, Maple etc?

Maple 7 is available for Solaris, HP-UX, IRIX, AIX, Digital UNIX / Tru64,
and linux (`redhat and suze distributions').

Mathlab 6.1 is available for AIX, Digital UNIX, HPUX, IRIX, LINUX and Solaris.

Mathematica 4.1 is available for linux/i386, /alpha and /ppc, Solaris,
DEC AXP/Tru64 Unix, HP-UX, AIX, and IRIX.

Anyone tried to run any in emulation mode on *BSD?

Mario Storti

Nov 4, 2001, 6:16:29 PM11/4/01
mob...@yahoo.com (Mobasher Sobhan) wrote in message news:<3be4d891...@basic.bs.webusenet.com>...

> Are there any Mathematics software that comes Unix(s) or Linux(s)?
> Softwares that compare to Mathematica, Maple etc?

There are GNU/Linux versions of Mathematica, Matlab and Maple but off
course this is not free software.

You have GNU octave which is a high level language for numerical
computations mostly compatible with Matlab, developed by Jhon W. Eaton
(http://www.octave.org). There are other possibilities like Scilab,
Tela and Perl PDL.

For symbolic computations there is an Emacs mode called 'calc´ that
allows some symbolic computations. Otherwise, there is MuPAD
http://www.mupad.de/, it´s non-free but I think they give personal
licenses.

A good place to look is http://sal.kachinatech.com/

Regards,

Mario

Greg Skouby

Nov 4, 2001, 8:18:02 PM11/4/01
Maple runs quite nicely on FreeBSD. I have seen it in
action under 3.3 and also more recently on the early
4.x versions. I have seen posts to freebsd-questions
about people running mathlab under the emulation also.

Greg

Michael Thompson

Nov 11, 2001, 11:08:04 PM11/11/01

There is Maxima http://www.ma.utexas.edu/maxima.html which is an actual
derivative of Macsyma. There are also various graphical frontends for this
package.

Regards,
Mike Thompson

"Mobasher Sobhan" <mob...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Jay Belanger

Nov 12, 2001, 11:04:50 AM11/12/01
"Michael Thompson" <mi...@spam.block.primeval.demon.co.uk> writes:

> There is Maxima http://www.ma.utexas.edu/maxima.html which is an actual
> derivative of Macsyma.

And hence Macsyma is an integral of Maxima.
Anyhow, a new page for Maxima is
http://maxima.sourceforge.net

Jay