Feeding entropy to /dev/random

SAB

Apr 15, 2019, 10:49:13 PM4/15/19
Hello.

I was wondering if there is an easy way to feed entropy to /dev/random or
arc4random() on OpenBSD. (My understanding is that they both use same
entropy spool.)

I did some research and found this nice NetBSD man page:

<https://man.openbsd.org/NetBSD-7.0.1/rnd.4>

It mentions rndctl command, which, unfortunately, does not exist in
OpenBSD.

The RNDADDDATA ioctl is also doing exactly what I was thinking of but
only once per boot (why?)

Is there anything similar in OpenBSD?

Christian Weisgerber

Apr 16, 2019, 7:30:06 AM4/16/19
On 2019-04-16, SAB <s...@no.ne> wrote:

> I was wondering if there is an easy way to feed entropy to /dev/random or

Yes, you can write to /dev/random. /etc/rc and the installer do
so.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber na...@mips.inka.de