Any recommended VPS service?

1 view

Héctor A. Abreu

Aug 7, 2023, 9:00:26 AM8/7/23

I'd like to host a basic website and an IRC server on an OpenBSD box. I
checked some VPS services but they don't include 7.2 or 7.3 version of
OpenBSD, but only versions below 7.0. My IRC server won't have a lot of
traffic for now because it will be a private server. Any recommendations
on VPS for OpenBSD? Thank you in advance.

--
Héctor A. Abreu

Matthew Ernisse

Aug 7, 2023, 1:26:04 PM8/7/23
Barring any other suggestions I've found many VPS providers to be slow for
updating their officially supported version lists. Usually this means you
install their image of (likely an older version) an OS but you can use the
included tools to upgrade to the latest version (sysupgrade(8) on OpenBSD).

I know there have been various successes running OpenBSD on VPS providers
that support other BSDs (I personally run OpenBSD on DigitalOcean under
their FreeBSD profile) but I'd only recommend that if you already have a
relationship with a VPS provider and don't want to establish another.

You may want to look at https://openbsd.amsterdam -- they run OpenBSD's
built-in hypervisor vmm(8).

--
"The avalanche has started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote."
--Kosh

Héctor A. Abreu

Aug 9, 2023, 4:37:29 PM8/9/23
Great tip, thank you! I was looking at Vultr but definitely
openbsd.amsterdam can make more sense for my particular interests and
requirements.

Regards,
--
Héctor A. Abreu

Eric Gillespie

Aug 10, 2023, 12:33:31 PM8/10/23
Panix doesn't list 7.3 currently, but assuming the page isn't
simply out of date, I imagine they'll quickly add 7.3 if you ask.

https://panix.com/v-colo/systems.html#openbsd

--
Eric Gillespie <*> e...@pretzelnet.org