Quantity of amd64 errata (was: OpenBSD Errata: August 24th, 2018 (fpufork))

Florian Rehnisch

Sep 21, 2018, 12:27:12 PM9/21/18
Sorry folks, I just found a long dorming question in my
moderators queue for cuboa ..

Sun, 26 Aug 2018 11:25:53 -0700, tom:
| On Fri, 24 Aug 2018 13:20:01 +0000 (UTC)
| "T.J. Townsend" <t...@openbsd.org> wrote:
|
| > Errata patches for the kernel have been released
| > for OpenBSD 6.3 and 6.2.
| >
| > State from the FPU of one userland process could be
| > exposed to other processes.
| >
| > Binary updates for the amd64 platform are available
| > via the syspatch utility. Source code patches can be
| > found on the respective errata pages:
| >
| > https://www.openbsd.org/errata62.html
| > https://www.openbsd.org/errata63.html
| >
| > As these affect the kernel, a reboot will be needed
| > after patching.
|
| Is it just because more people use AMD64, and thus it
| gets more auditing or is AMD64 really that horrible
| requiring errata patches every other month?

This is all in my own humble view, but:

Modern technology is complex and getting things mature
is a process.

There are design flaws like the Meltdown/Spectre
desaster other vendors struggle with also.

The OpenBSD folks do a good job in taking problems
serious when they become obvious, by emitting patches
and not hiding the problem.

The number and frequency of patches over time is not to
bad.

And once again, sorry for the delay..
--
Liebe Grüße,