Why is there no GCC package for GCC newer than 4.9.4?

Philipp Klaus Krause

Oct 19, 2018, 4:15:20 AM10/19/18
As far as I know, OpenBSd comes with ancient GCC 4.2.1 (or
reasonably-new LLVM on architecures for which it is available) since
OpenBSD developers don't like GPLv3. So e.g. for macppc, a lot of
current software cannot be compiled with the default compiler, as it is
written to language standards not supported.

Fortunately, there is a GPLv3 GCC 4.9.4 package that can be used to get
a C++11 compiler.

I'm wondering why there are no packages for GCC newer than 4.9.4. For
C++14 support, one needs GCC 5, for C++17 GCC 7.

Philipp

Christian Weisgerber

Oct 19, 2018, 10:30:07 AM10/19/18
On 2018-10-19, Philipp Klaus Krause <p...@spth.de> wrote:

> I'm wondering why there are no packages for GCC newer than 4.9.4. For
> C++14 support, one needs GCC 5, for C++17 GCC 7.

Because nobody with the required intersection of interest, time,
and skill has sat down and created ports for newer versions of GCC.
Actually, somebody started a GCC 6 port but hasn't finished it.
(ports/lang/gcc/6, not hooked up to the build.)

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber na...@mips.inka.de