Emacs "leaks" background color in OBSD 4.1

Kadin2048

Nov 6, 2007, 12:11:27 AM11/6/07
I'm not totally sure if this is an 'OpenBSD question,' a 'ksh question,'
or an 'emacs question,' so my apologies if this is misdirected. I'm
hoping that someone can at least point me in the right direction here.

Whenever I use emacs on my OpenBSD 4.1 box (that's GNU Emacs installed
from the release package, version 21.4p3-no_x11), it does something odd:
on exit, the background color stays and gets used for all new text in
the shell.

For example; I'll start off using a black-on-white scheme in an xterm,
and then connect to the OBSD machine and run Emacs. Emacs will work
fine, but then when I exit it and return to the shell, the text
background will be stuck black. It won't go away until I either reset
the connection, or run a command that displays color ('ls -G' seems to
clear it).

It's not major, but it is annoying, and I'm at a loss for how to fix it.
Changing the settings in Emacs doesn't really seem to have any effect,
and it happens regardless of what terminal emulator I use to connect
(Apple's Terminal.app, rxvt, xterm, etc.). My TERM type is set to
xterm-color and CLICOLOR is 'true.' The machine is otherwise a fresh
install, nothing's on it but the base system, Emacs, and fileutils.

Has anyone ever had this happen before, or can tell me what's going on?

Thanks very much,
Kadin.

Thomas Dickey

Nov 8, 2007, 9:17:08 AM11/8/07

Setting $TERM to "xterm-color" is usually incorrect. It tells the
application that the terminal doesn't use the most recently-set color
when clearing the background.

It sort-of-works with Apple's terminal emulator, though there are
other problems with that - and in any case, OpenBSD's terminal database
is too old to have anything accurate for it.

For the others - there are correct entries in ncurses...

For reference

ftp://invisible-island.net/ncurses/terminfo.src.gz

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net

Christian Weisgerber

Nov 8, 2007, 3:33:11 PM11/8/07
Thomas Dickey <dic...@saltmine.radix.net> wrote:

> Setting $TERM to "xterm-color" is usually incorrect. It tells the
> application that the terminal doesn't use the most recently-set color
> when clearing the background.
>
> It sort-of-works with Apple's terminal emulator, though there are
> other problems with that - and in any case, OpenBSD's terminal database
> is too old to have anything accurate for it.

For modern XFree86/X.org xterm, TERM=xterm-xfree86 is a better fit
than plain TERM=xterm or xterm-color. No idea about the Apple
thingy.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber na...@mips.inka.de

Kadin2048

Nov 9, 2007, 1:59:27 PM11/9/07
In article <fgvrq7$s4d$1...@kemoauc.mips.inka.de>,
na...@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber) wrote:

> For modern XFree86/X.org xterm, TERM=xterm-xfree86 is a better fit
> than plain TERM=xterm or xterm-color. No idea about the Apple
> thingy.

Changing to "xterm-xfree86" seemed to solve the issue, in both a regular
X11 xterm and in Apple's Terminal.

Thanks!

-Kadin.