Cyclades-Y multiserial card

eh41

Jan 29, 2020, 12:22:28 PM1/29/20
I'm currently trying to get a Cyclades-Y multiserial card running
under NetBSD 7. Dmesg shows the card:

cy0 at pci4 dev 6 function 0: Cyclades-Y multiport serial
cy0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 20
cy0: 8 channels (ttyCY000..ttyCY007)

In /etc/ttys they are defined (ttyCY000 to ttyCY007) like this:

ttyCY000 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" vt220 on

Anyhow, "ps -axuc | grep getty" shows a question mark instead of the
terminal line. Also, a connected hardware vt320 device doesn't show a
login prompt.

Any hint about what I've forgotten?

jeff

Jan 29, 2020, 2:36:16 PM1/29/20
You might want to re-post on one of the NetBSD mailing lists to get
better feedback; this news group is pretty dead unfortunately.

Been a long time since I messed around with hooking up a serial terminal
on NetBSD. I do recall this being helpful:

http://www.netbsd.org/docs/Hardware/Misc/serial.html

Maybe the cy(4) manpage helps?

https://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?cy+4.i386+NetBSD-7.0

--J

jeff

Jan 29, 2020, 2:51:30 PM1/29/20
On 1/29/20 10:22 AM, eh41 wrote:
> I'm currently trying to get a Cyclades-Y multiserial card running
> under NetBSD 7. Dmesg shows the card:
>
> cy0 at pci4 dev 6 function 0: Cyclades-Y multiport serial
> cy0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 20
> cy0: 8 channels (ttyCY000..ttyCY007)
>
> In /etc/ttys they are defined (ttyCY000 to ttyCY007) like this:
> ..
> Any hint about what I've forgotten?

This might also help for your specific card:

https://www.linuxjournal.com/article/1097

Apparently for the Cyclades Cyclom-8Y you set the IRQs using onboard DIP
switches. Also it sends no RTS signal.

--J

Volker Englisch

Feb 7, 2020, 4:40:03 PM2/7/20
jeff schrieb am 29.01.2020:
> On 1/29/20 10:22 AM, eh41 wrote:
>> I'm currently trying to get a Cyclades-Y multiserial card running
>> under NetBSD 7. Dmesg shows the card:
>>
>> cy0 at pci4 dev 6 function 0: Cyclades-Y multiport serial
>> cy0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 20
>> cy0: 8 channels (ttyCY000..ttyCY007)
>>
>> In /etc/ttys they are defined (ttyCY000 to ttyCY007) like this:
>>
>> ttyCY000 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" vt220 on
>>
>> Anyhow, "ps -axuc | grep getty" shows a question mark instead of the
>> terminal line. Also, a connected hardware vt320 device doesn't show a
>> login prompt.
>>
>> Any hint about what I've forgotten?
>
> You might want to re-post on one of the NetBSD mailing lists to get
> better feedback; this news group is pretty dead unfortunately.

Thanks for your suggestions. Well, I was never a friend of mailing
lists, so I avoided them now again :-)

After reading a lot of documentation, I finally got that card up. When
having a FreeBSD background, one is used to have cua* devices beneath
the tty* ones. In NetBSD, there are dty* devices instead. Placing a
"dtyCY000 ... getty ... local" in the /etc/ttys solved the problem.
Works great now. Took just some time to figure it out :-)

In the meantime, I tried a Debian Linux. It worked out-of-the box so
far. If there wasn't that ******* systemd part of the system. Hard to
reveal how you get a getty on a certain tty. So I really prefer the BSD
style...