boot.cfg consdev ucom0 ?

bi...@oh.no

Feb 24, 2020, 5:27:50 PM2/24/20
Was playing around with an old serial terminal but all I had for cabling
was a USB RS-232 adapter. I can do the following and get a login:

#/etc/ttys
ttyU0 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" vt100 on secure local

So that works but one doesn't get to interact with the bootloader nor
see the subsequent boot process; for that one needs to specify a port in
/etc/boot.cfg using 'consdev' but my reading of boot.cfg(5) and boot(8)
only show the following 'consdev' options:

com[0-3], com[0-3]kbd, auto

Should "auto" work or is there some other way to specify a USB connected
serial terminal for console?

-mb

Hauke Fath

Jul 21, 2020, 4:17:58 AM7/21/20
<bi...@oh.no> wrote:

[console on USB serial adapter]

> Was playing around with an old serial terminal but all I had for cabling
> was a USB RS-232 adapter.

Unfortunately, the bootloader and early kernel subsystems do not support
serial-over-usb for console. There are orders of magnitude in complexity
between pushing a byte to an UART, and through a USB stack.

Cheerio,
Hauke