Partitioning

flem...@hotmail.com

Aug 27, 2004, 9:47:49 PM8/27/04
I have an alpha workstation with 3 - 9GB scsi drives and 512MB of physical memory. I am looking for help on the best way to set up my partitions. Any advice?

Lowell Gilbert

Aug 28, 2004, 10:59:10 AM8/28/04
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd is not widely propagated, so you won't
necessarily get much help here (in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd).
See http://www.freebsd.org/support.html for better ideas...
[followups redirected accordingly]

<flem...@hotmail.com> writes:

It depends on what you're doing.
[See the freebsd-questions mailing list archives for answers to this
question hundreds of times over.]

My advice is to arrange partitions for ease of backup.
If the drives are all the same speed, put some swap on each.
And if you ever want to be able to take a kernel dump, make sure at
least one swap partition is a bit bigger than physical memory.

--
Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer
http://be-well.ilk.org:8088/~lowell/