FreeBSD recognizes my USB2 harddisk as a USB1.1

1 view

Anders Jensen

Feb 28, 2005, 5:22:25 AM2/28/05
I have a FreeBSD v5.3 (updated to the newest RELEASE) on a almost new
computer (with a Intel Perl-K motherboard). The computer has buildin
USB2 and I have just bought a Maxtor OneTouch USB2 harddisk.

My problem is, that my FreeBSD only runs 11Mbit/sec. (USB1.1) to this
disk eventhough it should run 480Mbit (USB2).

I have setup my BIOS to "Legacy USB support = FullSpeed = USB1.1" and if
I setup the legacy to HighSpeed, FreeBSD will not recognize any USB devices.

/var/log/messages:
Feb 25 17:39:06 unix1 kernel: umass0: Maxtor OneTouch II, rev 2.00/2.03,
addr 2
Feb 25 17:39:06 unix1 kernel: umass0: Get Max Lun not supported (STALLED)
Feb 25 17:39:06 unix1 kernel: da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
Feb 25 17:39:06 unix1 kernel: da0: <Maxtor OneTouch II 023g> Fixed
Direct Access SCSI-4 device
Feb 25 17:39:06 unix1 kernel: da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
Feb 25 17:39:06 unix1 kernel: da0: 239372MB (490234752 512 byte sectors:
255H 63S/T 30515C)

How do I get USB2 speed? Do I need to compile something into my kernel
or do I need a setting somewhere... or do I need to buy another USB2 PCI
card to my computer?

Martin P. Hellwig

Feb 28, 2005, 5:43:26 AM2/28/05
Anders Jensen wrote:
> I have a FreeBSD v5.3 (updated to the newest RELEASE) on a almost new
> computer (with a Intel Perl-K motherboard). The computer has buildin
> USB2 and I have just bought a Maxtor OneTouch USB2 harddisk.
>
> My problem is, that my FreeBSD only runs 11Mbit/sec. (USB1.1) to this
> disk eventhough it should run 480Mbit (USB2).
>
> I have setup my BIOS to "Legacy USB support = FullSpeed = USB1.1" and if
> I setup the legacy to HighSpeed, FreeBSD will not recognize any USB
> devices.

<cut>

> How do I get USB2 speed? Do I need to compile something into my kernel
> or do I need a setting somewhere... or do I need to buy another USB2 PCI
> card to my computer?

Try compiling "device ehci" into your kernel, but be aware that there is
a reason ehci is not in generic, it has been reproted there are *some*
usb chipset that work flaky with this option set.

--
mph

Anders Jensen

Feb 28, 2005, 3:23:26 PM2/28/05
> Try compiling "device ehci" into your kernel, but be aware that there is
> a reason ehci is not in generic, it has been reproted there are *some*
> usb chipset that work flaky with this option set.

This works, thanks.