Problem swapping firewire backup drives

1 view

Steven Lawson

Aug 16, 2004, 7:35:26 PM8/16/04
I'm rotating a set of firewire-connected IDE drives for backing up a
4.10-RELEASE system on a weekly basis. The device is da3.

The problem is, I can't get the system to reliably identify each
backup drive as da3. Much of the time I connect the next weeks backup
drive and it's identified as da4. Usually, it only notices that da3
is missing *after* it's already decided to mount the new drive as da4.

I can't seem to find a way to tell the system that da3 can be reused.
If I turn off power on the firewire drive and do a "camcontrol rescan"
it just hangs until I turn it on again.

Currently, the only way I can switch the backup drives is to reboot.
After that, turning on the new drive correctly gets it installed as
da3.

Steven Lawson

Aug 27, 2004, 4:30:20 PM8/27/04
Found the solution. After turning off the drive I need
to perform several "fwcontrol -r" commands until the
da3 device is recognized as missing. After that, the next
drive will be installed as da3.