SMP problem

Sebastian Araya

Aug 23, 2004, 10:59:52 AM8/23/04
Hello,

I'm beginner in FreeBSD. A few months ago I installed FreeBSD 5.2.1,
I've compiled PHP5 and Apache2, and downloaded MySQL4.1.3 in a Dual
Pentium Xeon 2.4 GHz, with 4 GB RAM memory and two SCSI disks, one for
system (18 GB), and the other for data (169 GB). Both disks where
working fine in Linux Kernel 2.4, but I didn't find any driver for
Adaptec U320 SCSI controller.

Besides the SCSI driver I want to known FreeBSD, so I started to use
it... using it under normal conditions (such as WEB/PHP development,
some queries under MySQL, etc.) I haven't any problem, it was stable
and productive. So, I started to program under c++ using MySQL API.
The process worked wonderfull, till I begun to use weigthed tables
(more than 512 MB).

I've been hesitated to responsability OS, but I couldn't understand
why system freezes tell me "filesystem full" on data disk; the only
way I have to restore the system is by the reset button. When the
system boots up again, I issue: fsck_ufs /dev/da1s1 (data disk is
UFS2) and then never grow up more than 50%. Beside, I have been
watching FS grows while it's running the process until it freeze, and
it never touch 50% limit of use.

Another strange behavior, running the process in two terminals, I
issued a "top" in a third, and I see 75% idle time... I learned, that
FreeBSD seems to recognized 4 "logical" processors from my 2
"phisical" processors. So, making simple calculations, isn't normal to
see 50% idle time when I run in two terminals?

Thanks for any clue, advise, etc.

Sebastián.