Newbie Question: Clean install NIC dies during kernel load

Defender

Aug 30, 2004, 11:02:16 PM8/30/04
Hi all,

I have just installed FreeBSD v5.0 and my experience with it so far has been
frustrating.

For instance:

1. At boot up the NIX lights are all on and my 3com swicth shows connectivyt
also. Anyway just as the kernel loads and gets to the NIC stuff the lights
on the NIC and Swict go out?

When I do an ifconfig there is no details of any problems and I can ping the
interface but obvioiusly I cant do much else?

I have tried static IP adressing and DHCP to no avail :-(

Im kinda stuck and dont know to many commands to really dig a bit deeper..I
am from a windows bckground and am used to a few more utilites to assist in
config etc (I guess much the same as the script files in freebsd)

Anyway ifsomeone could provide me some hints that would be great.

I have not tried entering anything into device hints yet..but I will do if
someone suggests its required!!

Thankyou,
Andrew

Steven G. Kargl

Aug 30, 2004, 11:24:40 PM8/30/04
In article <10939213...@huey.openpolytechnic.ac.nz>,

"Defender" <andrew...@hotmail.com> writes:

> I have just installed FreeBSD v5.0 and my experience with it so far has been
> frustrating.

If you're new to FreeBSD, I would suggest installing 4.10.

> Im kinda stuck and dont know to many commands to really dig a bit deeper..I
> am from a windows bckground and am used to a few more utilites to assist in
> config etc (I guess much the same as the script files in freebsd)
>
> Anyway ifsomeone could provide me some hints that would be great.

Use the dmesg command and post the output. This will give
us some idea of what hardware you have. Also, post the
output from ifconfig and the relevant lins from /etc/rc.conf.

YOu also said you were connected to a switch. You may
want to describe your network with more details. For
example, what NIC to you have? What switch do you have?
What is the switch connected to?

--
Steve

Defender

Aug 31, 2004, 4:57:29 PM8/31/04
Hi, Steve,

I will get more info - (tomorrow)

Just another question why v4.10 over v5.0?

Thankyou.
Andrew

"Steven G. Kargl" <ka...@c-67-168-59-70.client.comcast.net> wrote in message

Lowell Gilbert

Aug 31, 2004, 6:01:39 PM8/31/04
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd is not widely propagated, so you won't
necessarily get much help here (in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd).
See http://www.freebsd.org/support.html for better ideas...
[followups redirected accordingly]

"Defender" <andrew...@hotmail.com> writes:

> Just another question why v4.10 over v5.0?

It's a year and a half newer, for one thing.
See http://www.freebsd.org/releases/index.html

Also see the "Early Adopter's Guide" for 5.0, part of the
pre-installation documentation:
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.0R/early-adopter.html