running irssi on shell account

Gerald Koenig

Aug 15, 2004, 5:28:06 AM8/15/04
The install file for the irc program irssi says

Irssi installation instructions
-------------------------------

First of all, you need GLib to compile irssi. If you don't have it
already, you can either install it or let irssi download & compile
it.
The automatic downloading works only if you have wget or ncftpget
installed, you can do it manually by unpacking glib sources to
irssi's
root dir.

--------------------------------

There are various options here. I tried installing ncftp in the irssi
directory and ran into some problems with file permissions I may be
able to solve. Then there is a port of GLib but it seems to have its
dependencies and I may not be able to integrate it with the shell..I
don't have permissions to the entire system on a shell account. I can
run programs such as screen from my home directory. The GLib described
at

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/glib-building.html

which is not a bsd package as I understand it is pretty messy to
install. There is a specific freeBSD port for a GLib also.

My question is, who has irssi running on a freeBSD shell, and how did
you do it? Or how would it be best done? So far I'm going with the
ncftp install.

glk...@rexx58.com
Please delete all integers
for email address.

Lowell Gilbert

Aug 15, 2004, 11:23:36 AM8/15/04
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd is not widely propagated, so you won't
necessarily get much help here (in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd).
See http://www.freebsd.org/support.html for better ideas...
[followups redirected accordingly]

Gerald Koenig <nos...@BERMUDA.IO.COM> writes:

> My question is, who has irssi running on a freeBSD shell, and how did
> you do it? Or how would it be best done? So far I'm going with the
> ncftp install.

You should be able to use the port, and install to your home
directory. Defining PREFIX and WRKDIRPREFIX (see "man ports)
might be enough.