Trying to install freebsd -> problems

Joe

Sep 1, 2004, 6:46:44 AM9/1/04
I have just downloaded the 2 iso's and burn them on cd's, I start up, it
boots, I get to the install menu, i choose standard, I prepare my
partition, and the the trouble starts: I can't make it write my labels.
It complains that i can't write to the disc.

when i boot from the disc it just prints out 'freebsd' and tells me the
a filestystem and the kernel is missing.

It also now and then complains about my drive geometry.

It dectects one thing, complain about it when i try to partition my
disc, resets it to something else, complains, I then reset it to what
the bios tells me about the disc, but nothing seems to make it happy!

My disk is a Maxtor diamondmax plus 8 ATA/133 40GB completly new.

I have tried with other discs, like a fujitsu, but it will not even
detect this disc and a segate, which works fine but unfortunaly is to
small (1gb).

Any ideas anyone

Joe

Lowell Gilbert

Sep 1, 2004, 8:46:05 AM9/1/04
Date: 30 Aug 2004 21:58:38 -0400

comp.unix.bsd.freebsd is not widely propagated, so you won't
necessarily get much help here (in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd).
See http://www.freebsd.org/support.html for better ideas...
[followups redirected accordingly]

Joe <amplif...@hotmail.com> writes:

You don't mention what version of FreeBSD you are using, or what kind
of motherboard. As a wild guess, though, try disabling ACPI...

Lowell Gilbert

Sep 1, 2004, 8:48:25 AM9/1/04

--
Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer
http://be-well.ilk.org:8088/~lowell/