most secure webmail?

Paul

Aug 26, 2004, 10:23:00 PM8/26/04
I need to install webmail on my server so I can access my email from
outside. (I'm on the road a lot more now) It's a FreeBSD 4.8 box with
Apache. It does not need to be fancy or elaborate. All I need to be able
to do is access my email residing on my server (sendmail). What I do need
is to be able to set the webmail to not delete or remove from the POP3
mailbox any mail I read through it. being able to download attachments
would be desirable Sending mail via it would be a bonus but not a
neccesity. First and foremost I'd like it to be as secure as possible.

I checked the ports directory and found some, like Ilohamail, open
webmail and uebimiau. Anybody any experience with these? Are there other
ones better suitable?

Thanks in advance...

Paul

Lowell Gilbert

Aug 27, 2004, 8:40:33 AM8/27/04
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd is not widely propagated, so you won't
necessarily get much help here (in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd).
See http://www.freebsd.org/support.html for better ideas...
[followups redirected accordingly]

Paul <ese...@maps.on> writes:

I suspect that your security criterion will have more to do with how
you configure the web server that the web mail package is running on
than with the web server itself. Just make sure the connectins are
encrypted.

If you are taking your own computer with you, you will probably get
more security *and* more convenience by using some kind of encrypted
tunnel back to your home server and running a mail client locally.