can't see XP files in mount_smbfs mount

Jeff D. Hamann

Sep 8, 2004, 2:52:38 AM9/8/04
I've been trying to create a backup of my xp-pro laptop using samba (2.2.8
on freebsd 4.4). I can mount the laptop's drive just fine and see all the
directories, but all the directories on the mounted share appear empty (at
least when I perform an ls -la command). This might be the first time I've
attempted to mount an XP shared resource (I honestly can't recall), and
didn't have this problem when I did this with my Win2k laptop. Is this a
common problem and what you some good advice be to fix this problem. I see
the latest verison of samba is 2.2.11, should I upgrade my port? Will I have
to recompile my kernel? Will that wipe out my /etc/smb.conf file? Ugh...

Thanks,
Jeff.

Dariush

Sep 8, 2004, 6:43:27 PM9/8/04
Hi Jeff,

I just tested mounting the xp file system (a shared folder) on freebsd
5.2.1 and it works just fine.

Here is how you can do it.

Hope it helps.

http://www.avoid.ca/blog/

for the exact location go to

http://www.avoid.ca/blog/archives/2004/09/mounting_window.html

HTH
Dariush

www.realsoftstudio.com

Mysql Database Migation

Jeff D. Hamann

Sep 9, 2004, 12:41:25 PM9/9/04
yep, that the procedure and as I mentioned, the mount "mounts" just fine.
It's that any subdirectory in the mounted folder won't display (when
performing an ls or anything) the files within that subdirectory.

"Dariush" <Dar...@realsoftstudio.com> wrote in message

Jeff D. Hamann

Sep 10, 2004, 10:23:40 AM9/10/04
It looks like the file permissions had something to do with it. When I set
the laptop share settings to "Don't allow network users to alter files",
everything worked just fine.

Jeff.