First time NUT user

Drew Lawson

Jun 9, 2021, 11:02:35 PM6/9/21
I am trying to set up NUT for the first time (should have been
running this for years), and running into confusion.

UPS is an APC SmartUPS, but I don't think I am far enough along for
it to be a problem.

Console message on connection is:
kernel: ugen0.5: <American Power Conversion Back-UPS XS 1000M FW:945.d11 .D USB FW:d11> at usbus0

So I configured:

[ups]
driver = apcsmart
port = /dev/ugen0.5

But running as root (su - from tcsh):

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
% /usr/local/etc/rc.d/nut start
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.7.4
Network UPS Tools - APC Smart protocol driver 3.1 (2.7.4)
APC command table version 3.1

Unable to open /dev/ugen0.5: Permission denied

Current user id: uucp (66)
Serial port owner: root (0)
Serial port group: operator (5)
Mode of port: 0600
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Everything about the port is correct, but I cannot figure out why
it thinks that the current user is uucp.

The same happens if I resolve the slink and give port as /dev/usb/0.5.0.

--
|Drew Lawson | Mrs. Tweedy! |
| | The chickens are revolting! |

Lowell Gilbert

Jun 10, 2021, 8:30:29 AM6/10/21
Because the port is compiled to run as uucp by default.

Don't run it as root. Either give the permissions to uucp, or compile it
(src.conf would be a good place to put that configuration) to use a new,
single-purpose user.

Or for that matter, you could use apcupsd instead.

Be well.
--
Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer
http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/

Drew Lawson

Jun 10, 2021, 9:12:51 AM6/10/21
In article <44r1h9g...@be-well.ilk.org>
Lowell Gilbert <lgus...@be-well.ilk.org> writes:
>dr...@furrfu.invalid (Drew Lawson) writes:

>> Everything about the port is correct, but I cannot figure out why
>> it thinks that the current user is uucp.
>
>Because the port is compiled to run as uucp by default.

Well, that solves the mystery.
Thanks.

>Don't run it as root. Either give the permissions to uucp, or compile it
>(src.conf would be a good place to put that configuration) to use a new,
>single-purpose user.
>
>Or for that matter, you could use apcupsd instead.

I hadn't heard of apcupsd before. Thanks for the lead. That sounds
like it may be a simpler way to get what I want (a clean shutdown).

--
Drew Lawson | Broke my mind