pkg after upgrading to FreeBSD 14.0

Winston

Nov 25, 2023, 8:18:08 PM11/25/23
I upgraded a system from 13.2 to 14.0.
As a normal part of a major release upgrade, I do pkg upgrade [-f]
after the second install reboot.

This time, however, I got:

pkg: Warning: Major OS version upgrade detected. Running "pkg bootstrap -f" recommended

Unfortunately,
# pkg bootstrap -f
got
pkg: pkg(7) bootstrapper not found at /usr/sbin/pkg

(because, indeed, there is no /usr/sbin/pkg; it probably ought to be
/usr/local/sbin/pkg).

Reinstalling pkg itself with "pkg upgrade -f pkg" appears to have fixed
the problem, "pkg bootstrap -f" not needed.
-WBE

Winston

Nov 25, 2023, 8:28:28 PM11/25/23
That does raise the question: If there's no /usr/sbin/pkg,
how is one expected to install pkg initially?
Or does pkg itself uninstall /usr/sbin/pkg and related files
once pkg has been fully installed?
Or did reinstalling pkg mess up my system? :)
-WBE

Louis Epstein

Nov 26, 2023, 8:34:30 PM11/26/23
I never install a .0 version...

-=-=-

Jesse Rehmer

Nov 26, 2023, 10:47:41 PM11/26/23
On Nov 25, 2023 at 7:28:24 PM CST, "Winston" <w...@UBEBLOCK.psr.com.invalid>
wrote:
If you do not have /usr/sbin/pkg (there should be one following an upgrade),
you can try:

/usr/local/sbin/pkg-static install -f pkg

If you do have /usr/sbin/pkg, but it throws an error following an upgrade you
can try:

/usr/sbin/pkg bootstrap -f

Winston

Nov 27, 2023, 12:41:47 AM11/27/23
I posted:
>> That does raise the question: If there's no /usr/sbin/pkg,
>> how is one expected to install pkg initially?
>> Or does pkg itself uninstall /usr/sbin/pkg and related files
>> once pkg has been fully installed?
>> Or did reinstalling pkg mess up my system? :)
>> -WBE

In case you didn't see my earlier post, pkg itself had suggested I run
"pkg bootstrap -f". Doing that tried to run /usr/sbin/pkg, which is
how I discovered its absence.

Jesse Rehmer <jesse....@blueworldhosting.com> replied:
> If you do not have /usr/sbin/pkg (there should be one following an upgrade),
I thought that, too, which is why I was surprised at finding it missing.

> you can try:
>
> /usr/local/sbin/pkg-static install -f pkg

Oh, /usr/local/sbin/pkg and pkg-static were already installed,
and they were the ones that tried, and failed, to run /usr/sbin/pkg
to do the "pkg bootstrap -f".
-WBE

Graham Perrin

Dec 9, 2023, 9:42:01 AM12/9/23
On 26/11/2023 01:18, Winston wrote:

> I upgraded a system from 13.2 to 14.0.

Did you perform the minor update before the major upgrade?

Winston

Dec 9, 2023, 11:13:54 AM12/9/23

Graham Perrin <graham...@gmail.com> asked:
> Did you perform the minor update before the major upgrade?

Not sure which minor update you mean:

* 13.2-RELEASE-p5 was running at the time of the update, which
should have been the latest 13.2 available at that time.
[There have been security patches to 13.2 and 14.0 since then,
so it's not the latest 13.2 today.]

* pkg was 1.20.9 before 14.0 and the same after installing 14.0
and running "pkg upgrade -f pkg".

>> As a normal part of a major release upgrade, I do pkg upgrade [-f]
>> after the second install reboot.

>> This time, however, I got:
>> pkg: Warning: Major OS version upgrade detected. Running "pkg bootstrap -f" recommended

>> Unfortunately,
>> # pkg bootstrap -f
>> got
>> pkg: pkg(7) bootstrapper not found at /usr/sbin/pkg
>> (because, indeed, there is no /usr/sbin/pkg; it probably ought to be
>> /usr/local/sbin/pkg).

>> Reinstalling pkg itself with "pkg upgrade -f pkg" appears to have fixed
>> the [warning message] problem, "pkg bootstrap -f" not needed.

Update: I just checked backups: The file /usr/sbin/pkg did not exist
before the upgrade to 14.0 either, so this is not an issue of the
upgrade to 14.0 deleting it. The issue if the combination of
/usr/local/sbin/pkg issuing that Warning AND /usr/local/sbin/pkg
trying to run /usr/sbin/pkg as part of doing "pkg bootstrap -f".
As I noted, "pkg upgrade -f pkg" worked to silence the warning.
-WBE

Winston

Dec 9, 2023, 11:17:05 AM12/9/23
Typo: