can't create wireless devices

David Chmelik

Jan 6, 2024, 3:44:51 AMJan 6
FreeBSD Manual ch7.4 says do the following.

pciconf -lv | grep -A1 -B3 network
ifconfig wlan0 create wlandevice iwm0

Device iwm0 exists on my older Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga (20FR) but named
different on newer (20UB). When I type the above command it just says the
following.

ifconfig: must specify a parent device (wlandev) when creating a wlan
device

When I replace iwm0 with wireless device name on 20UB (from pciconf) it
says same.
I don't need these at home (ethernet) but will need in town/trips so
hope I need not create them on each boot nor use command-line to scan for
public wi-fi on each boot rather than use GUI tool in X (TWM, XFCE).

David Chmelik

Jan 6, 2024, 3:48:12 AMJan 6
On Sat, 6 Jan 2024 08:44:44 -0000 (UTC), David Chmelik wrote:
> FreeBSD Manual ch7.4 says do the following.
>
> pciconf -lv | grep -A1 -B3 network
> ifconfig wlan0 create wlandevice iwm0

Somehow my original post wasn't formatted as above (two separate commands)
but something happened to the newline after first command. I don't like
web-forums at much but found on forums.freebsd.org this was already solved
six years ago but the manual is still wrong.

ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev iwm0