whither wireshark?

Mike Scott

Sep 20, 2021, 6:06:36 AM9/20/21
My copy of wireshark seems out of date - but pkg denies it's in the
package repository:

root@data:/usr/ports/net/wireshark # pkg info |grep wireshark
wireshark-3.2.4 Powerful network analyzer/capture tool

(website says 3.4.8 is current)_

root@data:/usr/ports/net/wireshark # pkg install wireshark
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'wireshark' have been
found in the repositories

root@data:/usr/ports/net/wireshark # wireshark
qt.qpa.xcb: XKeyboard extension not present on the X server
Cannot mix incompatible Qt library (5.14.2) with this library (5.15.2)
Abort (core dumped)

root@data:/usr/ports/net/wireshark # freebsd-version
11.4-RELEASE-p13

Any idea what's going on please?

(I'd rebuild from the port, but it looks as though I'd end up building
lots of qt-related stuff too. It's only a little machine :-( )

Thanks.

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, England

Christoph Sold

Sep 20, 2021, 4:02:48 PM9/20/21
Mike Scott schrieb am Montag, 20. September 2021 um 12:06:36 UTC+2:
> My copy of wireshark seems out of date - but pkg denies it's in the
> package repository:
>
> root@data:/usr/ports/net/wireshark # pkg info |grep wireshark
> wireshark-3.2.4 Powerful network analyzer/capture tool
>
> (website says 3.4.8 is current)_

Have a look at freshports: https://www.freshports.org/net/wireshark/
Version 3.4.8 has been ported on 30 Aug 2021 15:10:15.
Seems this package has just missed the quarterly ports release.

> root@data:/usr/ports/net/wireshark # pkg install wireshark
> Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
> FreeBSD repository is up to date.
> All repositories are up to date.
> pkg: No packages available to install matching 'wireshark' have been
> found in the repositories

How do you update your ports regularly?

> root@data:/usr/ports/net/wireshark # wireshark
> qt.qpa.xcb: XKeyboard extension not present on the X server
> Cannot mix incompatible Qt library (5.14.2) with this library (5.15.2)
> Abort (core dumped)
>

> root@data:/usr/ports/net/wireshark # freebsd-version
> 11.4-RELEASE-p13
>

> Any idea what's going on please?

Nope. OTOH, 11.4 ist pretty outdated. Update time, I guess.

> (I'd rebuild from the port, but it looks as though I'd end up building
> lots of qt-related stuff too. It's only a little machine :-( )

Been there, done that. Rebuilding the world needs about 48 h on my Raspberry Pi 4 with a small USB SDD as root disk.

HTH
-Christoph

Mike Scott

Sep 22, 2021, 3:39:17 AM9/22/21
On 20/09/2021 21:02, Christoph Sold wrote:
> Mike Scott schrieb am Montag, 20. September 2021 um 12:06:36 UTC+2:
>> My copy of wireshark seems out of date - but pkg denies it's in the
>> package repository:
>>
>> root@data:/usr/ports/net/wireshark # pkg info |grep wireshark
>> wireshark-3.2.4 Powerful network analyzer/capture tool
>>
>> (website says 3.4.8 is current)_
>
> Have a look at freshports: https://www.freshports.org/net/wireshark/
> Version 3.4.8 has been ported on 30 Aug 2021 15:10:15.
> Seems this package has just missed the quarterly ports release.

I see, thanks. OTOH the package isn't around, and trying to rebuild from
the port is messy (seems to want to build a large chunk of qt-related
stuff... hence my comment. Seems a bit of a general issue with building
from ports.)

>> root@data:/usr/ports/net/wireshark # pkg install wireshark
>> Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
>> FreeBSD repository is up to date.
>> All repositories are up to date.
>> pkg: No packages available to install matching 'wireshark' have been
>> found in the repositories
>
> How do you update your ports regularly?

I run pkg upgrade -n nightly, and manually install as appropriate. ports
tree gets updated weekly.

> Nope. OTOH, 11.4 ist pretty outdated. Update time, I guess.

Definitely. But I want to move to a rpi as well..... from yesterday's
experiments, it seems there are definite issues (at least on a 3B with
13.0) with having the system on a hard drive, same as 11.x had, iirc.

But from your comment below, the pi4 should work.

>> (I'd rebuild from the port, but it looks as though I'd end up building
>> lots of qt-related stuff too. It's only a little machine :-( )
>
> Been there, done that. Rebuilding the world needs about 48 h on my Raspberry Pi 4 with a small USB SDD as root disk.
>
> HTH
> -Christoph

Thanks for the comments

I'll possibly start a new thread with the rpi issues. Or just buy
a pi4 :-}

DaveG

Sep 22, 2021, 1:51:31 PM9/22/21
If you switch from quarterly, 3.4.8 is in the pkg repo now.

--
ad astra tabernamque

Don't feed the trolls. You might catch something nasty.

Christoph Sold

Sep 23, 2021, 4:36:02 AM9/23/21
Mike Scott schrieb am Mittwoch, 22. September 2021 um 09:39:17 UTC+2:
> On 20/09/2021 21:02, Christoph Sold wrote:
> > Mike Scott schrieb am Montag, 20. September 2021 um 12:06:36 UTC+2:
> >> My copy of wireshark seems out of date - but pkg denies it's in the
> >> package repository:
> >> […]
> > Version 3.4.8 has been ported on 30 Aug 2021 15:10:15.
> I see, thanks. OTOH the package isn't around, and trying to rebuild from
> the port is messy (seems to want to build a large chunk of qt-related
> stuff... hence my comment. Seems a bit of a general issue with building
> from ports.)
This is to be expected, QT has changed a little since 11-Release
> >> root@data:/usr/ports/net/wireshark # pkg install wireshark
> >> Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
> >> FreeBSD repository is up to date.
> >> All repositories are up to date.
> >> pkg: No packages available to install matching 'wireshark' have been
> >> found in the repositories
> >
> > How do you update your ports regularly?
> I run pkg upgrade -n nightly, and manually install as appropriate. ports
> tree gets updated weekly.
So as explained in another message, the package was missing and should be present right now. OTOH, packages are built agains a quarterly stable release, which at this time is 13-R -- some difficulties will arise.

> > Nope. OTOH, 11.4 ist pretty outdated. Update time, I guess.
> Definitely. But I want to move to a rpi as well..... from yesterday's
> experiments, it seems there are definite issues (at least on a 3B with
> 13.0) with having the system on a hard drive, same as 11.x had, iirc.
>
> But from your comment below, the pi4 should work.
Yep:
pkg: http://pkgmir.geo.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:13:aarch64/latest/packagesite.pkg: Not Found
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
The following 62 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

Installed packages to be REMOVED:
harfbuzz-icu: 3.0.0
samba413: 4.13.8_1
tex-dvipsk: 5.995_2

New packages to be INSTALLED:
alsa-lib: 1.1.2_2
atk: 2.36.0
desktop-file-utils: 0.26

wireshark: 3.4.2

xkeyboard-config: 2.31
xprop: 1.2.5
xset: 1.2.4_3

Installed packages to be DOWNGRADED:
boost-libs: 1.72.0_5 -> 1.72.0_3
icu: 69.1,1 -> 68.2,1

Number of packages to be removed: 6
Number of packages to be installed: 54
Number of packages to be downgraded: 2

The operation will free 1 GiB.
45 MiB to be downloaded.

Proceed with this action? [y/N]: n
[cs@papi8 /usr/ports]$ uname -a
FreeBSD papi8 13.0-STABLE FreeBSD 13.0-STABLE #3 stable/13-n247062-c4bd6b589c8: Sat Sep 4 11:54:33 CEST 2021 root@papi8:/usr/obj/usr/src/arm64.aarch64/sys/GENERIC arm64

Seems I just continue to use tcpdump for my dumps and transfer those to a machine better equipped for Wireshark ;)

HTH
-Christoph Sold