RAM huge pages?

David Chmelik

Jan 2, 2024, 1:44:38 AMJan 2
Can one set 1280 2MB and allow 1GB RAM huge pages? There's a bash script
that does on GNU/Linux (by the xmr-stak-rx programmer) but this expects
Linux kernel software/settings not present on *BSD...

Andreas Kempe

Jan 2, 2024, 6:20:52 PMJan 2
FreeBSD's virtual memory system automatically merges smaller pages
into larger pages if appropriate. This is done automatically and you
don't have to change any settings. You can find a counter of how many
promotions have happened in the vm.pmap.pde.promotions sysctl.

David Chmelik

Jan 2, 2024, 9:30:01 PMJan 2
Great... however, I installed ports/net-p2p/xmrig which says 1GB huge-
pages are unavailable... is it inaccurate or I should bug-report to xmrig
computer/software programmer/developer it's not programmed right for
FreeBSD UNIX?

Andreas Kempe

Jan 3, 2024, 7:35:21 AMJan 3
Den 2024-01-03 skrev David Chmelik <dchm...@gmail.com>:

> Great... however, I installed ports/net-p2p/xmrig which says 1GB huge-
> pages are unavailable... is it inaccurate or I should bug-report to xmrig
> computer/software programmer/developer it's not programmed right for
> FreeBSD UNIX?

As far as I know, FreeBSD's max page size is 2 MB. I think 1 GB pages
are a Linux specific thing.

David Chmelik

Jan 3, 2024, 11:31:35 PMJan 3
I read they might still exist as 'superpages'?

Andreas Kempe

Jan 4, 2024, 7:10:01 PMJan 4
AFAIK, super pages are the 2 MB pages and they are the largest
continuous allocations FreeBSD makes.