new /etc/*.conf (checking/updating?)

David Chmelik

Jan 2, 2024, 10:24:57 PMJan 2
Since years/decades ago /etc/loader.conf & rc.conf(and much *.conf though
not considering others yet) changed, can one check these other than
manually, some which I don't remember what they do? I prefer FreeBSD UNIX
desktop, but will post/ask about some for a couple our laptops.
For this, fusefs (fusefs_load="YES") seems to no longer work... don't
recall what sysctlinfo_load="YES" is (or if shouldn't be in rc.conf) or if
anything else changed.

#/etc/loader.conf
fusefs_load="YES"
ext2fs_load="YES"
linux_enable="YES"
sysctlinfo_load="YES"

For this, fusefs (kld_list="fusefs") works, but syntax seems odd, and
sysctlinfo_load="YES" is duplicate (does it not belong here, or is okay/
better here with differentr syntax?) and maybe other things changed?

#/etc/rc.conf
clear_tmp_enable="YES"
hostname="microcosmos"
ifconfig_em0="DHCP"
ifconfig_em0_ipv6="inet6 accept_rtadv"
sshd_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
ntpdate_enable="YES"
ntpd_enable="YES"
powerd_enable="YES"
# Set dumpdev to "AUTO" to enable crash dumps, "NO" to disable
dumpdev="AUTO"
zfs_enable="yes"
kld_list="fusefs"
sysctlinfo_load="YES"
cursor="blink"
dictd_enable="YES"
bitlbee_enable="YES"

Any suggestions of new good things to include in these since mid-2010s,
also for desktop?

David Chmelik

Jan 6, 2024, 11:48:38 PMJan 6
On Wed, 3 Jan 2024 03:24:55 -0000 (UTC), David Chmelik wrote:

> Since years/decades ago /etc/loader.conf & rc.conf(and much *.conf
> though not considering others yet) changed, can one check these other
> than manually, some which I don't remember what they do? I prefer
> FreeBSD UNIX desktop, but will post/ask about some for a couple our
> laptops.
> For this, fusefs (fusefs_load="YES") seems to no longer work...
> don't
> recall what sysctlinfo_load="YES" is (or if shouldn't be in rc.conf) or
> if anything else changed.
Correction: /boot/loader.conf