Why did Apple create A/UX?

er...@ericdestefano.com

Nov 20, 2017, 7:35:02 AM11/20/17
Greetings,

I am working on a new documentary about A/UX, being a fan, and the one thing I keep wondering to myself is - Why was A/UX created? What market was it intended to serve?

Any developers, or fans out there, have a tale to share about the creation of A/UX? I am interested.

Equally, I am curious as to have much of the development UniSoft did vs. how much Apple did for the 1.0 release. Any tales about that relationship I am also most interested in.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

smuc...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2019, 3:31:24 PM3/31/19
On Monday, November 20, 2017 at 6:35:02 AM UTC-6, er...@ericdestefano.com wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am working on a new documentary about A/UX, being a fan, and the one thing I keep wondering to myself is - Why was A/UX created? What market was it intended to serve?

You should read the wikipedia article which I've greatly expanded, and look for sources in books.google.com. What's up with your documentary?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A/UX

When I find those things, I'll expand the article.

See also my latest major works, also in progress:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taligent

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workplace_OS

smuc...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2019, 3:42:48 PM3/31/19
Furthermore, I want to know any internal or external positioning of A/UX alongside System 7, Pink, Taligent, and Workplace OS. I want to know if Apple ever had a real desire to replace System 7 with A/UX, or exactly what roadblocks there would have been. Is it just RAM and hard drive space?

* Did they ever test a personal A/UX to use as little hardware resources as possible? No docs, compiler, source code, basically no visible Unix at all like what we got out of NeXT since 2001.

* Did anyone ever port Taligent OS or TalAE to A/UX, seeing how hard Apple was being pushed to host Taligent technology?

* If not, how did A/UX remain such a huge secret that the trade press was *constantly* complaining about Apple having *no* OS capable of multitasking and memory protection? Even while A/UX 3 was called a tech gateway toward A/UX 4 which was supposed to overtake PowerOpen? That's all according to trade magazines that I sourced on Wikipedia. Was A/UX just the flagship of one tiny solo department?

At least this discussion (hopefully anyone is still here) is prompting me to think of new keywords for books.google.com. :-/ I had a ton of OSes in the 90s but I totally missed out on A/UX so I'm catching up.