AU/X on Performa 6300 PPC?

Charles Mudd

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

Can anyone help me?

I just purchased (used) AU/X 3.0 for $35 with manuals. This includes
the CD and three installation disks. I am very new to using AU/X.
However, I do have Unix experience. I have the following questions:

1) Can I install 3.0 on a separate SCSI hard drive using a Performa 6300
PPC?

2) Can I find an updater disk to bring my version of AU/X up to date
without much cost?

3) How should I proceed at this point?

Charles Mudd

Jmballo

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

er ... ... ...

1.) a/ux won't run on a PPC; it needs a 680x0 and demands a coprocessor ;
e.i. macs with a 68LC040 wont hack it. needs a q700 or better for
realistic operation

2.) there is an upgrade to 3.01 and there it all stops. no more upgrades
after that.

3.) well you have the software but not the hardware. alas. LINUX will be
out for the ppc in the fall but will not do the real cool thing that a/ux
does: run the MACOS as a unix task. hope this helps

drjoe

Andreas Roth

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

In article <318057...@ix.netcom.com>, Charles Mudd <myr...@ix.netcom.com>
writes:

> Can anyone help me?
>
> I just purchased (used) AU/X 3.0 for $35 with manuals. This includes
> the CD and three installation disks. I am very new to using AU/X.
> However, I do have Unix experience. I have the following questions:
>
> 1) Can I install 3.0 on a separate SCSI hard drive using a
> Performa 6300 PPC?

Sorry, you can't. AU/X won't work on any PPC. Get a 68030 or 68040.

> 2) Can I find an updater disk to bring my version of AU/X up to
> date without much cost?

You will find an updater to 3.0.1 for free at Yagubox or at Apple.
Or you can purchase an update to 3.1 and get a free one to 3.1.1.

> 3) How should I proceed at this point?

Go to Yagubox (http://jagubox.nasa.gov/aux/), get the FAQ, stay tuned on
comp.unix.aux.

Andreas Roth
fa0...@uni-muenster.de

cata...@yahoo.com

Sep 14, 2012, 2:43:11 PM9/14/12
On Friday, April 26, 1996 10:00:00 AM UTC+3, Charles Mudd wrote:
> Can anyone help me?
>
> I just purchased (used) AU/X 3.0 for $35 with manuals. This includes
> the CD and three installation disks. I am very new to using AU/X.
> However, I do have Unix experience. I have the following questions:
>
> 1) Can I install 3.0 on a separate SCSI hard drive using a Performa 6300
> PPC?
>
> 2) Can I find an updater disk to bring my version of AU/X up to date
> without much cost?
>
> 3) How should I proceed at this point?
>

> Charles Mudd

User Bp

Sep 15, 2012, 12:13:17 AM9/15/12
cata...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Friday, April 26, 1996 10:00:00 AM UTC+3, Charles Mudd wrote:
>> Can anyone help me?
>>
>> I just purchased (used) AU/X 3.0 for $35 with manuals. This includes
>> the CD and three installation disks. I am very new to using AU/X.
>> However, I do have Unix experience. I have the following questions:
>>
>> 1) Can I install 3.0 on a separate SCSI hard drive using a Performa 6300
>> PPC?
I believe you can't. A/UX stopped development on the 68040, it wasn't
ported to PPC architecture.

>> 2) Can I find an updater disk to bring my version of AU/X up to date
>> without much cost?
I think the next upgrade was 3.0.1, also on a CD. There was at one time
an updater (single floppy, IIRC) that brought the system to 3.1.1 but
that was the end of the line.

Both the 3.0.1 CD and the 3.1.1 floppy image were on the net some years
ago, they might still be around.

>> 3) How should I proceed at this point?

If you really want to run A/UX look for a working 68040 machine
with a genuine Apple CD drive. Realistically, it's a very long
shot to find hardware that old which still works. All mine died
a couple of years ago.

Hope this helps, good luck.

bob prohaska