installp / geninstall Instalation error

NeonSpirit

Jun 14, 2002, 5:15:44 AM6/14/02
I am trying to perform an update_all on an AIX 5.1 system.

Using smitty update_all and selecting the cd I get

0503-003 geninstall: The specified device /tmp/tmpcdmount.geninstall
is not a valid device or file.

Any ideas appreciated.

Friedhelm Neyer

Jun 14, 2002, 12:52:47 PM6/14/02

NeonSpirit wrote:

maybe your /tmp-directory is to small or you don't have a valid .toc-file
on the cd
try to copy the cd content to a directory, update the .toc (inutoc .) and
try again

> Any ideas appreciated.

Alan Dodd

Jul 18, 2002, 3:37:34 AM7/18/02
I am assuming that the space in /tmp made no difference, I have tried just
about every combination of installs, even using installp to try to update
the software, no help what so ever. Did you ever get this fixed? If so
how?

Cheers

Alan

"NeonSpirit" <mjh...@rocketmail.com> wrote in message

Tjark

Jul 31, 2002, 6:26:29 AM7/31/02
"Alan Dodd" <alan...@apd-consultancy.com> wrote in message news:<ujo7l2k...@corp.supernews.com>...

> I am assuming that the space in /tmp made no difference, I have tried just
> about every combination of installs, even using installp to try to update
> the software, no help what so ever. Did you ever get this fixed? If so
> how?
[...]

> "NeonSpirit" <mjh...@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
[...]

> > 0503-003 geninstall: The specified device /tmp/tmpcdmount.geninstall
> > is not a valid device or file.

This is known bug in bos.rte.install. It only surfaces on systems with
a LANG setting different than C or en_US. The new package
bos.rte.install.5.1.0.29 will fix it, but it is not available yet.

As a workaround, simply set LANG to C oder en_US before invoking
smitty.

Greetings,
Tjark Kalow

Steve Northcott

Mar 13, 2023, 12:17:30 PM3/13/23

I had this error when I had a duplicate fileset in the directory I was installing from.

# ls
gettext-0.21-2.aix7.1.ppc (1).rpm
gettext-0.21-2.aix7.1.ppc.rpm

I had both these two coded on my geninstall (by accident).
#geninstall -d directory -p -Y 'gettext-0.21-2.aix7.1.ppc.rpm gettext-0.21-2.aix7.1.ppc (1).rpm'

This produces the error.
So check the filenames being passed to geninstall. The error went away for me by removing the (1) file from the geninstall command.
I guess it doesn't like the spaces or parentheses that came from windows.

jmc...@neutron.hsd1.ma.comcast.net

Mar 13, 2023, 3:04:02 PM3/13/23

When posting please line wrap to 70 characters.
Many people will ignore questions unless formatted
for use by a proper newsreader :)

But, that seems odd, what shell are you using ?
I have used Files similar to that on AIX, but the only issue
I have seen were inside Shell Scripts. I just moved off of
AIX, so I cannot test, but is geninstall a script ?

Unless using some ancient shell, try prefixing the spaces and
parentheses with a '\'

HTH

--
[t]csh(1) - "An elegant shell, for a more... civilized age."
- Paraphrasing Star Wars