Ethernet adapter problems

Ralf Utermann

Nov 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/29/95

one of our old machines (220, AIX3.2.5) has a problem using
its standard Ethernet adapter. From the SMIT submenue of TCPIP,
Minimum Configuration and Startup, I always return with the
error:

Method error (/usr/lib/methods/chgif):
0514-064 Cause not known.
ifconfig: error loading /usr/lib/drivers/netinet: Exec format error
0821-103: The command /etc/ifconfig en0 inet 137.250.77.12 -trailers arp
netmask 255.255.0.0 mtu 1500 up failed.
0821-229 chgif: ifconfig command failed.
The status of"en0" Interface in the current running system is uncertain.

Some user switched off the machine without doing a shutdown, so I
suspect this might have corrupted some files -- but which ? A fsck
of the rootvg didn't find anything.
With diagnose floppies I saw, that it's probably not a hardware error.
I checked the binaries called by /etc/mktcpip (or at least, some of them in
/usr/lib/methods and /usr/lib/drivers) but they are identical to
those of other systems.

Anybody ever saw an error like this ?

Thanks for any idea,

regards, Ralf

--
Ralf Utermann
Universitaet Augsburg (Germany), Institut fuer Physik

MV-Maarten Veerman

Nov 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/30/95
In article <DIt8I...@Yuri.CC.Uni-Augsburg.DE>, ra...@Physik.Uni-Augsburg.DE
says...

>Hi,
>
>one of our old machines (220, AIX3.2.5) has a problem using
>its standard Ethernet adapter. From the SMIT submenue of TCPIP,
>Minimum Configuration and Startup, I always return with the
>error:
>
>Method error (/usr/lib/methods/chgif):
> 0514-064 Cause not known.
>ifconfig: error loading /usr/lib/drivers/netinet: Exec format error
>0821-103: The command /etc/ifconfig en0 inet 137.250.77.12 -trailers arp
>netmask 255.255.0.0 mtu 1500 up failed.
>0821-229 chgif: ifconfig command failed.
>The status of"en0" Interface in the current running system is uncertain.
>Some user switched off the machine without doing a shutdown,

Ralf: Verify "Your CABLE Type" in smit mktcpip is set to the proper
value (should be N/A for 220, I believe).
I have seen a similar problem on some customer's C10 where this was
changed after an abrupt shutdown.

HTH
-- MV
-MV (Maarten Veerman) Platon Consulting Limited, New Westminster, B.C.
em...@platon.com AIX-UNIX, Ingres, & Forest Industry Applications
Sure, I have a lot of opinions, but they are all mine.