IBM AIX DAT72 Tape Restore from one IBM p5 to a clone system

virtualNik

Apr 15, 2020, 9:24:42 AM4/15/20
Hello folks.

Is it possible (licensing and all) to take an IBM AIX tape backup (bare-metal backup on a DAT72 tape on an IBM p5 system) and restore it onto a secondary IBM p5 system with identical or near-identical hardware specs, and have the secondary unit boot up?

I'm facing an interesting legacy system restore project and curious if it is worth the time, money and effort for the aforementioned.

Thanks in advance!

Michael Kraemer @ home

Apr 15, 2020, 11:39:01 AM4/15/20
I'd say so, if the tape backup was created via mksysb.
You just boot off the tape and restore the system 1:1.