Fixing XMMS 1.2.7-1 for AIX 4.3.3.0 with Ultimedia Audio Adapter 7-6

Christian Holzapfel

Jan 6, 2022, 2:15:06 AMJan 6
XMMS 1.2.7-1 for AIX 4.3.3.0 doesn't work on my model 7013-59H, which is a Microchannel machine.
The player stops with

Open failure
init failure
Control Failure
Start Failure
FAILURE: stop failed. errno=0

Searching this group, it looks like many people had the same problem about 20 years ago. Shame on me for using a 27 years old RISC computer for MP3 playback.
However, here's the reason and solution:

The XMMS RPM packages available for 4.3.3.0 from IBM's Toolbox for Linux Applications contains a /very/ basic audio output plugin libAIXout.so.0.0.0 which, after looking it up in the SRPM package, addresses a hardcoded sound device in /dev/paud0, which refers to PCI sound devices with the Crystal chipset only.
MCA sound devices are rather located in /dev/baud0 (MCA sound devices with Crystal chipset like the Ultimedia 7-6) or /dev/acpa0 (MCA M-ACPA).

So laying a soft link like

ln -s /dev/baud0 /dev/paud0

get's the job done pretty well.

Remember, that if you drag your Ultimedia to another MCA slot, and don't fix the ODM database, it might come up as /dev/baud1 next time, so you have to renew your link.

Enjoy!

Michael Kraemer @ home

Jan 6, 2022, 5:12:35 AMJan 6
Christian Holzapfel wrote:
> XMMS 1.2.7-1 for AIX 4.3.3.0 doesn't work on my model 7013-59H, which is a Microchannel machine.

> Searching this group, it looks like many people had the same problem about 20 years ago. Shame on me for using a 27 years old RISC computer for MP3 playback.

well, if you're able to listen to your MP3 while you're sitting on a 59H
... I mean noisewise :-)

> However, here's the reason and solution:

thanks for the info anyway.