AWK supports only 99 Lines ?

Stefan Milde

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00
I have used a script with a awk-command and a program-file *.awk many times.

The script converts some files. The input files grow from time to time,

and now I get the error message:

awk: 0602-535 Line "<Content of Line>" cannot have more than 99 fields.
The input line number is xxx . The file is ...
The source line number is xxx

Bye Steven

admin all2wap.com

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00
this message say you have more then 99 fields, not lines !!

Helmut Leininger

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00
Stefan Milde wrote:

> I have used a script with a awk-command and a program-file *.awk many times.
>
> The script converts some files. The input files grow from time to time,
>
> and now I get the error message:
>
> awk: 0602-535 Line "<Content of Line>" cannot have more than 99 fields.
> The input line number is xxx . The file is ...
> The source line number is xxx
>
> Bye Steven

awk seems to support a maximum of 99 fields per record. See also man awk:
" NF The number of fields in the current record, with a limit of
99."

Regards
--
Helmut Leininger

Bull AG / Vienna
Open Systems Support

Email: h.lei...@bull.at
helmut.l...@bull.net

This opinion is mine and not necessarily that of my employer.
No guarantees whatsoever.

Eusebio Castillo

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00
awk is complaining about the number of fields (must be <= 99)
that each record (usually one line) can have as a maximum.
You can look for the field separator (by default a space), that may have
been
used in that complaining line number, thus making the total number of fields
more than 99. Or look for a missed end of line character in the line number.

Hope this helps.

Eusebio Castillo Navarro
Osiatis Barcelona
Tlfno: 93 476 69 30