AIX hangs on 0518 code - HELP!!!

az...@gazeta.pl

Sep 20, 2006, 3:14:30 PM9/20/06
During boot AIX 4.3 hangs on 0518 I boot In maitenance mode from CD and
fsck filesystem root filesystem and /usr filesystem (and others). I can
mount root and /usr filesystem in maintenance mode and it seems OK!
After rebooting AIX nags on 0518 again.

What to do?

Can AIX log more about the problem? (not only 0518)?

steven_nospam at Yahoo! Canada

Sep 20, 2006, 4:31:38 PM9/20/06

There is no other information with the 0518 displayed? Some systems
indicate either on the LED or on the master console some sort of
message such as the following:

0518 /mnt mount failed

>From what I have seen, this can indicate one of a few things:

1) Corruption in the rootvg file systems. Boot in maintenance mode and
run fsck on all root file systems. (It looks like you may have tried
this already on at least some of the file systems).

2) A failing disk if rootvg spans more than one disk. Run diagnostics
if you can to confirm the disks are all Available and no problems are
reported.

3) Corruption of the jfslog - rebuild the jfslog for rootvg

4) Installation of a second rootvg disk or a mirrored rootvg that is
interfering with the default boot file systems.

Check some of the other posts in comp.unix.aix newsgroup to get some
ideas what to check. Unfortunately, I don't believe you could call IBM
about this issue even if you had a service contract since their support
for AIX 4.3.3 is discontinued.

Steve

Hajo Ehlers

Sep 20, 2006, 5:03:40 PM9/20/06

518 can be caused by
System can not mount fs from rootvg
Corrupted log volume
Corrupted or missing /etc/filesystem

So please read
Repairing File Systems with fsck in AIX V4 and V5(LED 517 or 518)
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg3T1000131

hth
Hajo

Charles Tembo