What is Mac OSX

kartik.v...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2007, 12:51:50 PM2/21/07
I think Apple followed Bill Gates' advise , put their stuff on top of
UNIX. 21 years too late. Yeah, Apple can "legally" drink their sorrows
now........steal from zerox, use FreeBSD........a great
company..........

http://www.scripting.com/specials/gatesLetter/text.html

July 29, 1985

Mr. John Sculley
President
Apple Computer
20525 Mariani Ave.
Mail Stop 231
Cupertino, CA 95014

Dear John,

I remain enthusiastic about the benefits of licensing Mac technology.
Currently I think the following companies are the best choices:

Northern Telecom -- a separate letter copied to NT describes my
thinking here. This is a first class company.

Motorola -- their Four-Phase subsidiary is committed to the 68000.
They aren't doing well. Their direct sales force is good but not so
large that it will threaten the retail channel. Motorola loves the
Macintosh and being in partnership with your chip designer is a
natural.

AT&T -- I know you are working on this. The key is that their 68000
UNIX PC is not selling. They need a way to make Mac software run on
their box. They will confuse things by trying to involve UNIX in the
discussion. The mac interface should be viewed as a separate
application interface that they can put on top of UNIX if they want.
They will have to change the disk drive in the current UNIX PC. I
believe that will be the only hardware change required.

We recently sent Chris Larson down to discuss making your 3.5" disk
compatible with MS-DOS. Unfortunatley the people he talked to didn't
agree with us on the importance.

I want to help in any way I can with the licensing. Please give me a
call.

Best regards,

(signed)
William H. Gates
Chairman

cc: Apple
Jean-Louis Gassee
Larry Tesler

Microsoft
Ida Cole
Jim Harris
Jeff Raikes
Jon Shirley

toby

Feb 25, 2007, 3:05:11 AM2/25/07
On Feb 21, 12:51 pm, kartik.vashis...@gmail.com wrote:
> I think Apple followed Bill Gates' advise , put their stuff on top of
> UNIX. 21 years too late. ...

Better a visionary (Jobs) than a self-interested criminal (Gates).

Apple owns all their technology (Lisa, Mac, NeXT). Re-read your
history.

kartik.v...@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2007, 12:32:33 PM2/26/07

I bet Zerox would love to read your post.

toby

Feb 28, 2007, 12:20:01 AM2/28/07

An old troll, misspelled.