Forcing good backup procedures

Hendrik Vermooten

Nov 5, 1990, 12:43:36 AM11/5/90

A customer of mine has about 20 XENIX sites, with *low* level operators.
Making backups is a problem: I've written software that does not allow
them to boot up the machine in the morning unless it has a tape loaded.
(Gross, huh? :-) A cron process then makes a backup at lunch time.
They are supposed to put in the appropriate tape each day before booting.

This works ok, *except* that they leave in the same (*#$#)(#%$!#@ tape,
so that there aren't any generations of backups, and this has led to
major problems.

What I'm looking for is some program/script/anything that will check if
the correctly labled tape (labled magnetically on the tape, that is) is
loaded into the drive before proceeding. It would be nice if this prog
could also send mail to someone (at anther site) if it "notices" that
backup procedures aren't being followed.

I'd appreciate any help!

Hendrik Vermooten, ZEUS software Tel [27 12] 64-5507, FAX [27 12] 64-8382
Bang: ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!zeusa!hendrik or hen...@zeusa.UUCP
--------------------- He who laughs last laughs last ---------------------

Chip Rosenthal

Nov 11, 1990, 2:53:16 PM11/11/90
In article <8...@zeusa.UUCP> hen...@zeusa.UUCP (Hendrik Vermooten) writes:
>A customer of mine has about 20 XENIX sites, with *low* level operators.
>Making backups is a problem [...] What I'm looking for is some
>program/script/anything that will check if the correctly labled tape [...]

You've got a bigger problem than getting backups made - you need to fix
an attitude problem. I would recommend a letter to the manager of the
facility. I do not suggest that this letter beat them up over bad
practices, but rather suggest a positive course of action and clearly
explain the benefits to be obtained. If possible, these benefits should
be in terms of cold, hard cash.

For example, I've got an analogous situation with one client. They were
very begrudging over my recommendation to start using passwords. They
still don't have a root password. Just two weeks ago, they went out and
bought another terminal because the (theoretical) system administrator
wanted "to do data entry while generating reports." This is on a SCO
XENIX system, which has multiscreen capability (i.e. the equivalent 12
tty's on the console). She didn't know about that. Just this week, they
ran out of disk space because nobody watches the df's.

The price they've paid this last month on unnecessary equipment and lost
productivity would more than pay for two people to attend a XENIX training
class. If I can convince them to send just one person, they win.

Maybe training classes aren't a possibility for you. In this case, check
out other alternatives. Check out the instructional videotapes and other
programs. Your challenge is to motivate (at least) one person at this
site to get responsible for these machines. You aren't going to cram
anything down their throats they don't want - work on making them want
it.

I strongly advise you to address the attitude problem. A tape labelling
program would indeed be a handy tool, but that's going after the symptoms.
Unless you fix the real problem, clients like this can become lots of
headache and little reward.

--
Chip Rosenthal <ch...@chinacat.Unicom.COM>
Unicom Systems Development, 512-482-8260

Jay Ts

Nov 12, 1990, 3:00:04 AM11/12/90
In article <16...@chinacat.Unicom.COM>, ch...@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
> In article <8...@zeusa.UUCP> hen...@zeusa.UUCP (Hendrik Vermooten) writes:
> >A customer of mine has about 20 XENIX sites, with *low* level operators.
> >Making backups is a problem [...] What I'm looking for is some
> >program/script/anything that will check if the correctly labled tape [...]
>
> You've got a bigger problem than getting backups made - you need to fix
> an attitude problem. I would recommend a letter to the manager of the
> facility. I do not suggest that this letter beat them up over bad
> practices, but rather suggest a positive course of action and clearly
> explain the benefits to be obtained.

I usually use the reverse approach with my clients: tell them in no uncertain
terms what it costs to NOT have backups *when* (not "if") the disk crashes.

I tell them if they don't protect their data, it's only a matter of time
until they lose it. I'm consulting in central Florida, where high-energy
lightning strikes are as common as small businesses running UNIX/Xenix
without UPS's, surge protectors or even one good tape backup. The first thing
I usually tell a new client is to correct these same deficiencies. If they
don't wise up, I simply stop working for them, and let nature take its course.

Somehow, they have to learn. I want to help them, but I'm not going to put
myself in legal jeopardy by being "the last consultant to touch the machine
before we lost everything". I figure if they don't care enough to take care
of, and protect, their equipment and data, they are not good to do business
with.

> This is on a SCO
> XENIX system, which has multiscreen capability (i.e. the equivalent 12
> tty's on the console). She didn't know about that. Just this week, they
> ran out of disk space because nobody watches the df's.

I've heard from SCO-related sources that Xenix is not guaranteed to run
reliably (i.e., not lose files) when the disk is more than 85% full...

> The price they've paid this last month on unnecessary equipment and lost
> productivity would more than pay for two people to attend a XENIX training
> class.

Or RTFM...

> I strongly advise you to address the attitude problem. A tape labelling
> program would indeed be a handy tool, but that's going after the symptoms.

I agree, but must add that a really good piece of software, and a FAST
tape backup system make a LOT of difference. A lot of the reason why
backups are not made is due to the inconvenient nature of performing them.

I've had good luck by writing simple shell script backup systems, customized
for each site and manager's likings, and installing it in their login menus.

In my experience for Xenix and UNIX/386, the DC600 tape drives are much
faster than the QIC drives, and this is a very important factor.

> Unless you fix the real problem, clients like this can become lots of
> headache and little reward.
> --
> Chip Rosenthal <ch...@chinacat.Unicom.COM>

Well said.

Jay Ts
Metran Technology
Tampa FL
uunet!pdn!tscs!metran!jay

Hendrik Vermooten

Nov 14, 1990, 12:16:26 AM11/14/90

Re: my original posting about "Forcing good backup procedures"

In article <16...@chinacat.Unicom.COM>, ch...@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:

> You've got a bigger problem than getting backups made - you need to fix
> an attitude problem.

That's for sure!

> Just this week, they ran out of disk space because nobody watches the df's.

I've written a cron/script that mails a warning. Anybody interested?

> Chip Rosenthal <ch...@chinacat.Unicom.COM>

Thanx, Chip. I also received some mail in the same vein. Thanks to all.

I didn't really describe the problem fully. These 20 systems are at separate
places *hundreds of miles* away from anything. Top management of the
company have made many attempts to improve the problem, and it has. It's
just that there are still problems sometimes, and it would be nice to
solve the problems before they actually lose data.

I will impress upon them that it is an attitude program again, but they
still want the labeling program.

(BTW, I have received two mails with shell scripts that help solve the
problem [thanx Sean Enraght-Moony and Alan Mintz]. If anybody is interested
let me know & I'll post 'em)

----------------- He whose laugh lasts longest laughs last ---------------
--

--------------------- He who laughs last laughs last ---------------------

Hendrik Vermooten, ZEUS software TEL +27 12 64-5507, FAX +27 12 64-8382
Bang: ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!zeusa!hendrik or hen...@zeusa.UUCP
----------------- He whose laugh lasts longest laughs last ---------------

Barton A. Fisk

Nov 15, 1990, 11:19:25 AM11/15/90
In article <3...@metran.UUCP> j...@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
>In article <16...@chinacat.Unicom.COM>, ch...@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>> In article <8...@zeusa.UUCP> hen...@zeusa.UUCP (Hendrik Vermooten) writes:
[backup stuff deleted]

>In my experience for Xenix and UNIX/386, the DC600 tape drives are much
>faster than the QIC drives, and this is a very important factor.

Excuse me. DC600's are tapes made by 3-M not the drives. QIC-24 drives
use the DC-600 tapes. Let's get these straight before we make backup
recommendations.
--
uucp: holston!barton
pseudo: bar...@holston.UUCP

Jay Ts

Nov 16, 1990, 3:33:30 PM11/16/90

Oops, sorry.

That was a confused typo; I was trying to compare QIC-24 drives to
the smaller drives that (I guess) must be commonly sold for MS-DOS systems.
(OK, so what are *they* called?) My point was that spending more money on
a faster tape drive is more than worth it if it means that it will actually
be used!

I have been trying to set myself straight on this matter, but have mostly
been getting more confused: can someone either email or post a *definitive*
listing of

1) The types of tape drives available and/or in use (I'm looking
for standardized names, not manufacturers' model names), and

2) The tapes that each use, by both

a) dimensions (there doesn't seem to be a standard naming
system, but I've got a ruler!)

b) Manufacturers' product names

I am not an expert on tape drives, but I want to become one. Please send me
info on the drive(s) you're sure of. Also tell me if you want to be mailed
a summary. And if no one else posts comprehensive info, I'll do that too.

Jay Ts
uunet!pdn!tscs!metran!jay

KP KP

Aug 1, 2022, 11:46:15 AM8/1/22