Proof that Olcott doesn't understand proof by contradiction

immibis

Jan 21, 2024, 8:20:28 PMJan 21
I am camouflaged in all environments at the same time.

(1) I am camouflaged in grass right now.
(2) Sand and grass are different colours.
From (1) and (2) we get immediately:
(3) I am not camouflaged in sand right now.

No! I don't like this! I said I was camouflaged in all environments!

What if we just reverse (3):

(1) I am camouflaged in grass right now.
(2) Sand and grass are different colours.
(3) I am camouflaged in sand right now.

No! I don't like this! There's a self-contradiction!

What if we just delete (1) and (2):

(3) I am camouflaged in sand right now.

Perfect. See, now that I've just deleted the annoying contradictions
from my paper, I must be right because I have not written down any
contradictions.

immibis

Jan 23, 2024, 9:01:33 AMJan 23
Olcott cannot comment on this because it shows how much he doesn't
understand.

olcott

Jan 23, 2024, 12:22:36 PMJan 23
Proof by contradiction is not exactly the same thing the fact that
self-contradictory questions have no correct answers.

That no one ever bothered to pay enough attention to see the
difference does not entail that this difference does not exist.

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

immibis

Jan 23, 2024, 12:42:45 PMJan 23
On 1/23/24 18:22, olcott wrote:
> On 1/23/2024 8:01 AM, immibis wrote:
>> On 1/22/24 02:20, immibis wrote:
>>> I am camouflaged in all environments at the same time.
>>>
>>> (1) I am camouflaged in grass right now.
>>> (2) Sand and grass are different colours.
>>>  From (1) and (2) we get immediately:
>>> (3) I am not camouflaged in sand right now.
>>>
>>> No! I don't like this! I said I was camouflaged in all environments!
>>>
>>> What if we just reverse (3):
>>>
>>> (1) I am camouflaged in grass right now.
>>> (2) Sand and grass are different colours.
>>> (3) I am camouflaged in sand right now.
>>>
>>> No! I don't like this! There's a self-contradiction!
>>>
>>> What if we just delete (1) and (2):
>>>
>>> (3) I am camouflaged in sand right now.
>>>
>>> Perfect. See, now that I've just deleted the annoying contradictions
>>> from my paper, I must be right because I have not written down any
>>> contradictions.
>>
>> Olcott cannot comment on this because it shows how much he doesn't
>> understand.
>
> Proof by contradiction is not exactly the same thing the fact that
> self-contradictory questions have no correct answers.

"I am camouflaged in all environments at the same time" is
self-contradictory. The correct answer is: "No you're not."