Four new rules with replicators

David Eppstein

Oct 31, 2001, 11:21:24 AM10/31/01
I've recently discovered four new semi-totalistic rules (i.e. defined by
neighbor counts, like Life) that have self-replicating patterns in them.
They are: B358/S23467, B37/S345, B3568/S2347, and B357/S3458. For details
see <http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/ca/replicators/>
--
David Eppstein UC Irvine Dept. of Information & Computer Science
epps...@ics.uci.edu http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/

Gordon D. Pusch

Oct 31, 2001, 12:32:33 PM10/31/01
to epps...@ics.uci.edu
David Eppstein <epps...@ics.uci.edu> writes:

> I've recently discovered four new semi-totalistic rules (i.e. defined by
> neighbor counts, like Life) that have self-replicating patterns in them.
> They are: B358/S23467, B37/S345, B3568/S2347, and B357/S3458. For details
> see <http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/ca/replicators/>

It would be helpful to non-experts if you included a link from this webpage
to a webpage explaining your CA-rule notation, so that they would not have
to deduce its meaning from context...

-- Gordon D. Pusch

perl -e '$_ = "gdpusch\@NO.xnet.SPAM.com\n"; s/NO\.//; s/SPAM\.//; print;'

Erik Max Francis

Oct 31, 2001, 12:54:12 PM10/31/01
"Gordon D. Pusch" wrote:

> It would be helpful to non-experts if you included a link from this
> webpage
> to a webpage explaining your CA-rule notation, so that they would not
> have
> to deduce its meaning from context...

... but the B/S notation is _the_ standard for two-state totalistic
rules.

--
Erik Max Francis / m...@alcyone.com / http://www.alcyone.com/max/
/ \ Laws are silent in time of war.

Gordon D. Pusch

Oct 31, 2001, 3:16:45 PM10/31/01
Erik Max Francis <m...@alcyone.com> writes:

> "Gordon D. Pusch" wrote:
>
>> It would be helpful to non-experts if you included a link from this
>> webpage to a webpage explaining your CA-rule notation, so that they
>> would not have to deduce its meaning from context...
>
> ... but the B/S notation is _the_ standard for two-state totalistic
> rules.

And would a non-expert in CAs happen to know that fact? ,:-|
Interest in CAs does not imply _expertise_ in CAs, nor knowledge
of the existing literature-base on them. Like most NGs, the lurkers
here probably outnumber the posters by at least ten to one, and
there are probably a number of newbies who have stopped by merely
because they've just read about CAs in a novel or article somewhere...

David Eppstein

Oct 31, 2001, 4:38:14 PM10/31/01
In article <giady78...@pusch.xnet.com>,

gdp...@NO.xnet.SPAM.com (Gordon D. Pusch) wrote:

> > ... but the B/S notation is _the_ standard for two-state totalistic
> > rules.
>
> And would a non-expert in CAs happen to know that fact? ,:-|
> Interest in CAs does not imply _expertise_ in CAs, nor knowledge
> of the existing literature-base on them.

I agree with Gordon that it should be possible to understand my web pages
without already being an expert in CA's, so I have added a page describing
the notation as he requested.

Erik Max Francis

Oct 31, 2001, 7:45:43 PM10/31/01
"Gordon D. Pusch" wrote:

> And would a non-expert in CAs happen to know that fact? ,:-|
> Interest in CAs does not imply _expertise_ in CAs, nor knowledge
> of the existing literature-base on them.

Of course not, but someone clever enough to have an interest in cellular
automata should be resourceful enough to research the meaning of the
notation pretty easily.

It never hurts to explain notation, but I certainly wouldn't dock him
points for not documenting a standard, universal notation.

Gordon D. Pusch

Oct 31, 2001, 8:11:55 PM10/31/01
Erik Max Francis <m...@alcyone.com> writes:

> "Gordon D. Pusch" wrote:
>
> > And would a non-expert in CAs happen to know that fact? ,:-|
> > Interest in CAs does not imply _expertise_ in CAs, nor knowledge
> > of the existing literature-base on them.
>
> Of course not, but someone clever enough to have an interest in cellular
> automata should be resourceful enough to research the meaning of the
> notation pretty easily.
>
> It never hurts to explain notation, but I certainly wouldn't dock him
> points for not documenting a standard, universal notation.

I don't feel I was ``docking him points'' --- I was attempting to suggest
a small improvement to his webpage.

Line Noise

Oct 31, 2001, 8:12:56 PM10/31/01
David Eppstein <epps...@ics.uci.edu> wrote:

> In article <giady78...@pusch.xnet.com>,
> gdp...@NO.xnet.SPAM.com (Gordon D. Pusch) wrote:
>
> > > ... but the B/S notation is _the_ standard for two-state totalistic
> > > rules.
> >
> > And would a non-expert in CAs happen to know that fact? ,:-|
> > Interest in CAs does not imply _expertise_ in CAs, nor knowledge
> > of the existing literature-base on them.
>
> I agree with Gordon that it should be possible to understand my web pages
> without already being an expert in CA's, so I have added a page describing
> the notation as he requested.

This is a problem for most non-trival subjects.
A lexocon will devlop but the FAQ (if it exists at all)
will lack a glosery. Will a lurker understand what GOE* is?

Some selfless sole, who can spell, should take it apon themselves...

Line noise.

*Garden Of Eden: a CA rule&state that has no precursers.

Brian Prentice

Nov 5, 2001, 10:40:41 AM11/5/01
David Eppstein <epps...@ics.uci.edu> wrote in message news:<eppstein-9D5739...@news.service.uci.edu>...

> I've recently discovered four new semi-totalistic rules (i.e. defined by
> neighbor counts, like Life) that have self-replicating patterns in them.
> They are: B358/S23467, B37/S345, B3568/S2347, and B357/S3458. For details
> see <http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/ca/replicators/>

Replicators seem to be one of the more common patterns generated from
a random soup when applying rules from the 'Weighted Generations'
family included with the new version of 'Mirek's Cellebration' which
you can download here:

http://www.mirekw.com/ca/index.html

Brian Prentice