Sierpinski's triangles generated from cellular automaton in Golly

aigg...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2013, 1:17:35 PM6/19/13
Hello, I have recently constructed a cellular automaton in Golly, with a starting population of roughly 899 million, that produces Shierpinski's triangles. Although it starts as clustered columns of cells it generates fractal triangles.

Has anyone seen or created this phenomena? I showed it to a couple people who were very excited by it. I am pretty excited by it as well and would love some feedback from the C.A. community.

Thanks,

-Aaron Ball

Frank Buss

Jun 19, 2013, 3:53:21 PM6/19/13
aigg...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello, I have recently constructed a cellular automaton in Golly,
> with a starting population of roughly 899 million, that produces
> Shierpinski's triangles. Although it starts as clustered columns of
> cells it generates fractal triangles.

Could be interesting, can you upload the Golly file and rule set somewhere?

> Has anyone seen or created this phenomena? I showed it to a couple
> people who were very excited by it. I am pretty excited by it as well
> and would love some feedback from the C.A. community.

Yes, I know it from Rule 90:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_90

--
Frank Buss, http://www.frank-buss.de