How to make one large multiline curly bracket?

William Denton

Aug 31, 2006, 1:14:34 PM8/31/06

I'm using Latex and need to format something like this, with one right
curly bracket spanning three lines:

Here is a list:

(A) the first item }
(B) the second item } these are all items
(C) the third item }

Those three curly brackets should be one enormous bracket, though,
covering all three lines, with the middle pointy bit aiming at the words
on the right.

There's no math involved, and the list is in an enumerate environment. I
have no idea how to make on large brace. Any help would be most
appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill
William Denton : Toronto, Canada : www.miskatonic.org : www.frbr.org

Pubkeybreaker

Aug 31, 2006, 1:58:21 PM8/31/06

William Denton wrote:
> I'm using Latex and need to format something like this, with one right
> curly bracket spanning three lines:
>
> Here is a list:
>
> (A) the first item }
> (B) the second item } these are all items
> (C) the third item }
>
> Those three curly brackets should be one enormous bracket, though,
> covering all three lines, with the middle pointy bit aiming at the words
> on the right.

See Page 47 of Lamport's Latex book. Use an array.

Basically:

\left. \begin{array}{c}
line1... \\
line2.... \\
etc.
\end{array} \right}

will put a big right curly brace around the multiple lines in the
array.

Robin Fairbairns

Aug 31, 2006, 6:37:11 PM8/31/06
"Pubkeybreaker" <Robert_s...@raytheon.com> writes:
>William Denton wrote:
>> I'm using Latex and need to format something like this, with one right
>> curly bracket spanning three lines:
>>
>> Here is a list:
>>
>> (A) the first item }
>> (B) the second item } these are all items
>> (C) the third item }
>>
>> Those three curly brackets should be one enormous bracket, though,
>> covering all three lines, with the middle pointy bit aiming at the words
>> on the right.
>

>See Page 47 of Lamport's Latex book. Use an array.

which requires its contents to be maths.

using the multirow and bigdelim packages, i believe that the
requirement can be met in a single tabular. if you can't work it out
for yourself (i have to admit the docs aren't terribly good) i may be
able to work it out for you, but just now i'm not up to it.
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge

William Denton

Sep 25, 2006, 1:01:58 AM9/25/06
Pubkeybreaker <Robert_s...@raytheon.com> wrote:

: See Page 47 of Lamport's Latex book. Use an array.

Thanks. I got what I wanted with

\item To enable a person to find a book of which either

\[
\left. \begin{array}{l}
\textrm{(A) the author}\\
\textrm{(B) the title}\\
\textrm{(C) the subject}
\end{array} \right\} \textrm{is known.}
\]

It ended up centred and I'd prefer it indented so that the ABC lines up
with the DEF itemize items below (which doesn't need the big brace), but
it's good enough as it is.