number of acronyms limited in package acronym?

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum

Jul 3, 2022, 8:30:08 AM7/3/22

is there a limit to the number of acronyms that the acronym package can
handle?

In a 1500-page text book with some 550 acronym entries (I know, but I
don't make them ;-( ), I get a (not so) funny behaviour:

On the first run, everything seems normal initially, I get the usual
warnings about undefined acronyms. At the end, I get a lot of
(\end occured when \iftrue on line xxx was incomplete)
(unfortunately, it doesn't say which chapter/file the line number refers
to)

On the second run, the warnings are absent (as expected), but XeLaTeX
fails about after about 2/3 of the manuscript with
! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [main memory size=3000000].

If I run XeLaTeX a third time, behaviour is like the first.

Any help appreciated

Engelbert