book class with 13pt or 14pt?

Bob J.A. Schijvenaars

Jul 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/19/99

I'm writing my thesis in LaTeX, using the book style. Most printing
companies here ask you to provide your manuscript on A4 papersize,
which they will scale down to, e.g., B5 (a scaling factor of 81%).
This means that when I want to use fontsize 11pt in my thesis,
I must print on A4 with either 13pt or 14pt. Can I make one of these
two sizes the standard fontsize for the book class??

Sorry if this turns out to be a FAQ, I looked but couldn't find it there.

Thanks,
Bob
Bob J.A. Schijvenaars email...schijvenaars@mi.fgg.eur.nl
Dept. of Medical Informatics, Talk....+31-(0)10 408 8116
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Erasmus University Rotterdam

Oliver Mihatsch

Jul 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/19/99
"Bob J.A. Schijvenaars" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm writing my thesis in LaTeX, using the book style. Most printing
> companies here ask you to provide your manuscript on A4 papersize,
> which they will scale down to, e.g., B5 (a scaling factor of 81%).
> This means that when I want to use fontsize 11pt in my thesis,
> I must print on A4 with either 13pt or 14pt. Can I make one of these
> two sizes the standard fontsize for the book class??

Why don't you use

\documentclass[11pt,b5paper]{article}

and tell the driver to scale up your document to a4 or letter format:

dvips -y1234 <filename>

Oliver

Bob J.A. Schijvenaars

Jul 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/19/99
Oliver Mihatsch wrote:

Good idea!
One thing I need to check then, however, is when I print (for my own
purposes) scaled up on a4 doublesided how large the margins will become.
I'd like the A4-version to be an exact copy of the (future) original, meaning
that the left/right margins of even pages should be mirrored on odd ones.

Thanks for the tip.

Michael Dewey

Jul 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/19/99
to schijv...@mi.fgg.eur.nl
You could try looking at
http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~may/extsizes.html

which has an extended report class with the ability to do 14 point
(amongst other things)

Bob J.A. Schijvenaars wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I'm writing my thesis in LaTeX, using the book style. Most printing
> companies here ask you to provide your manuscript on A4 papersize,
> which they will scale down to, e.g., B5 (a scaling factor of 81%).
> This means that when I want to use fontsize 11pt in my thesis,
> I must print on A4 with either 13pt or 14pt. Can I make one of these
> two sizes the standard fontsize for the book class??
>

> Sorry if this turns out to be a FAQ, I looked but couldn't find it there.
>
> Thanks,

> Bob
> --
> Bob J.A. Schijvenaars email...schijvenaars@mi.fgg.eur.nl
> Dept. of Medical Informatics, Talk....+31-(0)10 408 8116
> Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Erasmus University Rotterdam

--
Michael Dewey
Trent Institute for Health Services Research

mailto:Michae...@nottingham.ac.uk
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~mhzmd/home.html

Axel Reichert

Jul 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/19/99
"Bob J.A. Schijvenaars" <schijv...@mi.fgg.eur.nl> writes:

> Most printing companies here ask you to provide your manuscript on
> A4 papersize, which they will scale down

In this case it is best to typeset in the desired final format,
e. g. with

\documentclass[10pt,a5paper]{book}

and then scale the output with

\usepackage{scale}

or

\mag=1414 % place *before* \documentclass.

Happy TeXing!
--
Axel Reichert -- http://mt.mpie-duesseldorf.mpg.de/people/reich/

Oliver Mihatsch

Jul 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/19/99
"Bob J.A. Schijvenaars" wrote:

> Oliver Mihatsch wrote:
> > Why don't you use
> > \documentclass[11pt,b5paper]{article}
> > and tell the driver to scale up your document to a4 or letter format:
> > dvips -y1234 <filename>
>
> Good idea!
> One thing I need to check then, however, is when I print (for my own
> purposes) scaled up on a4 doublesided how large the margins will become.
> I'd like the A4-version to be an exact copy of the (future) original, meaning
> that the left/right margins of even pages should be mirrored on odd ones.

Alternatively, you could use \usepackage{scale} to scale up your
document.
This package scales the entire document by \sqrt{2} (taking into account
the
margin problem).

However, if your paper size is b5 rather than a5, you will have to write
your
own version of scale.sty. This should be fairly simple.
(scale.sty is a short package).

Oliver

Axel Reichert

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
to schijv...@mi.fgg.eur.nl
"Bob J.A. Schijvenaars" <schijv...@mi.fgg.eur.nl> writes:

> One thing I need to check then, however, is when I print (for my own
> purposes) scaled up on a4 doublesided how large the margins will become.
> I'd like the A4-version to be an exact copy of the (future) original, meaning
> that the left/right margins of even pages should be mirrored on odd ones.

I looked up the solution yesterday:

\mag=1414 % for cm fonts
% \mag=1440 % for ec fonts
%
\documentclass[a5paper]{book}
%
\addtolength{\topmargin}{-1truein}
\addtolength{\topmargin}{1in}
\addtolength{\oddsidemargin}{-1truein}
\addtolength{\evensidemargin}{1in}

This holds for a5paper. If you need a different scale factor, you can
use either a different \mag factor or the dvips options (makes no
difference). For b5paper you will need most probably geometry.sty,
because the standard classes have no "b5paper" option. Or you can
manage the page layout yourself.

The four \addtolength commands are *independent* of the \mag factor.

The different \mag factor for the ec fonts saves lots of calculation
time for fonts and makes only a small difference in size.

Oliver Mihatsch

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
Axel Reichert wrote:

> [... useful stuff ...]
>
> This holds for a5paper. If you need a different scale factor, you can
> use either a different \mag factor or the dvips options (makes no
> difference).
> For b5paper you will need most probably geometry.sty,
> because the standard classes have no "b5paper" option. Or you can
> manage the page layout yourself.

No! In article.cls you find the following code

\DeclareOption{b5paper}
{\setlength\paperheight {250mm}%
\setlength\paperwidth {176mm}}

defining a b5paper option.

Oliver

MA van Hartskamp

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
Bob J.A. Schijvenaars <schijv...@mi.fgg.eur.nl> wrote:
> Oliver Mihatsch wrote:
>>
>> "Bob J.A. Schijvenaars" wrote:
>> > I'm writing my thesis in LaTeX, using the book style. Most printing

>> > companies here ask you to provide your manuscript on A4 papersize,
>> > which they will scale down to, e.g., B5 (a scaling factor of 81%).
>> > This means that when I want to use fontsize 11pt in my thesis,
>> > I must print on A4 with either 13pt or 14pt. Can I make one of these
>> > two sizes the standard fontsize for the book class??
>>
>> Why don't you use
>> \documentclass[11pt,b5paper]{article}
>> and tell the driver to scale up your document to a4 or letter format:
>> dvips -y1234 <filename>

> Good idea!

> One thing I need to check then, however, is when I print (for my own
> purposes) scaled up on a4 doublesided how large the margins will become.
> I'd like the A4-version to be an exact copy of the (future) original, meaning
> that the left/right margins of even pages should be mirrored on odd ones.

Maybe you should check with your printing company first whether *they*
will edit your margins. Sometimes they do, since it depends on the
way the put it all together to get your book done. They might want to
increase/decrease some margins to cope with the thickness of the
folded paper.

Example if your pages are folded like so: <<<<<
the page at the right should have larger margins since from that piece of
paper more will be cut off.

By the way, I would go for the scaling-with-dvips solution since in
that way when scaling up and then down you will have a true 11 pt font
and not a 13 pt font scaled down to 11pt. For the differences that
occur in fontsizes with well-designed fonts have a look at
e.g. chapter 4 in Knuth's book just before exercise 4.6

Michael v Hartskamp

quangb...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2014, 11:41:10 AM4/25/14
On Monday, 19 July 1999 14:00:00 UTC+7, Bob J.A. Schijvenaars wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing my thesis in LaTeX, using the book style. Most printing
> companies here ask you to provide your manuscript on A4 papersize,
> which they will scale down to, e.g., B5 (a scaling factor of 81%).
> This means that when I want to use fontsize 11pt in my thesis,
> I must print on A4 with either 13pt or 14pt. Can I make one of these
> two sizes the standard fontsize for the book class??
>
> Sorry if this turns out to be a FAQ, I looked but couldn't find it there.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob
> --
> Bob J.A. Schijvenaars email...schijvenaars@mi.fgg.eur.nl
> Dept. of Medical Informatics, Talk....+31-(0)10 408 8116
> Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Erasmus University Rotterdam

Hi,

Usepakage{extsizes} with option 14pt.

Markus Kohm

Apr 25, 2014, 12:16:06 PM4/25/14
quangb...@gmail.com (Freitag, 25. April 2014 17:41):

> On Monday, 19 July 1999 14:00:00 UTC+7, Bob J.A. Schijvenaars wrote:

Does answering such old questions make any sense?

> Usepakage{extsizes} with option 14pt.

In this case optical shrinking may result in very thin fonts. I'd suggest to
typeset in the destination size and re-size for printing only or to use \mag
to generate a PDF or PS in A4.

I you understand German, you may also have a look into DTK 1/1999
<http://www.dante.de/DTK/Ausgaben/komoedie19991.pdf> for more Information.

Markus Kohm
--
KOMA-Script, a versatile bundle of classes and packages for LaTeX2e
Current: KOMA-Script 3.13.1751 (see <http://www.komascript.de/current>)