Segmentation fault ???

Y.H.Baek

Jan 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/23/98

When I compile the latex file, it shows the 'Segmentation Fault'. But if
I close all the other applications, such as nedit, xdvi, and so on, then
my latex can compile again. My latex works, anyway, but it is very
inconvinient.

Can anyone explain how I could remove this problem ?

Baek

p.s. sometimes I can't move from one application to another application.
Y.H. Baek | Tel : +44 - 1234 - 750 111 (5714)
Air Vehicle Technology Group | Home : +44 - 1234 - 750 094
Flight Dynamics | Fax : +44 - 1234 - 751 550
Cranfield University | email : y.h....@cranfield.ac.uk
MK43 0AL |
U. K. |

David Kastrup

Jan 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/23/98
to Y.H.Baek

"Y.H.Baek" <Y.H....@cranfield.ac.uk> writes:

> When I compile the latex file, it shows the 'Segmentation Fault'. But if
> I close all the other applications, such as nedit, xdvi, and so on, then
> my latex can compile again. My latex works, anyway, but it is very
> inconvinient.
>
> Can anyone explain how I could remove this problem ?

You seem to have either defective or too little memory. If the latter
is the problem, try adding swap space to your system.

--
David Kastrup Phone: +49-234-700-5570
Email: d...@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de Fax: +49-234-709-4209

Matthew S. Harris

Jan 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/24/98

Y.H.Baek (Y.H....@cranfield.ac.uk) wrote:
: When I compile the latex file, it shows the 'Segmentation Fault'. But if

: I close all the other applications, such as nedit, xdvi, and so on, then
: my latex can compile again. My latex works, anyway, but it is very
: inconvinient.

: Can anyone explain how I could remove this problem ?

That's what happens when TeX doesn't have enough memory to start up.
(It took me a while to figure out the cause of those strange seg
faults.) The only solution is to get more memory (or swap space).

Matthew Harris