The Alonzo Church Archive

Michael Zeleny

Jun 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/8/97

Announcing the opening of http://www.alonzo.org, a public service by
ptyx. Volunteer custodians are invited to apply. We are seeking
typesetters to convert Alonzo Church's writings into LaTeX files for
the forthcoming edition of his Collected Works (to be published by the
MIT Press); referees for contributions to the memorial volume in his
honor (to be published by Kluwer); and submissions of content to our
archive of classics and expository work in mathematical logic,
theoretical computer science, and analytic philosophy.

Cordially -- Mikhail * God: "Sum id quod sum." Descartes: "Cogito ergo sum."
Zel...@math.ucla.edu *** Popeye: "Sum id quod sum et id totum est quod sum."
itinerant philosopher *** will think for food ** www.ptyx.com ** M...@ptyx.com
ptyx, 6869 Pacific View Drive, LA, CA 90068, 213-876-8234/213-874-4745 (fax)
Come to the Alonzo Church Archive at http://www.alonzo.org *** 310-966-6700

Michael Cohen

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

Michael Zeleny (zel...@oak.math.ucla.edu) wrote:
: Announcing the opening of http://www.alonzo.org, a public service by

: ptyx. Volunteer custodians are invited to apply. We are seeking
: typesetters to convert Alonzo Church's writings into LaTeX files for
: the forthcoming edition of his Collected Works (to be published by the
: MIT Press); referees for contributions to the memorial volume in his
: honor (to be published by Kluwer); and submissions of content to our
: archive of classics and expository work in mathematical logic,
: theoretical computer science, and analytic philosophy.

Could someone fill me in on what happened to Professor Church?
I assume he has passed away given the talk of a memorial volume but the
Web page had no further information. I attended a class he taught at UCLA
in the late 1970's (contructive mathematics).

--
Michael P. Cohen home phone 202-232-4651
1615 Q Street NW #T-1 office phone 202-219-1917

H. Enderton

Jun 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/11/97

mco...@cpcug.org (Michael Cohen) writes:
>Could someone fill me in on what happened to Professor Church?
>I assume he has passed away given the talk of a memorial volume but the
>Web page had no further information.

Yes, Alonzo Church died in August 1995. For an obituary, see
http://www.math.ucla.edu/~asl/0104-toc.htm

--Herb Enderton
h...@math.ucla.edu

Robert Hill

Jun 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/12/97

> Yes, Alonzo Church died in August 1995. For an obituary, see
> http://www.math.ucla.edu/~asl/0104-toc.htm

Everyone should read Church's book "Introduction to Mathematical Logic",
if only for its copious and fascinating footnotes. The text is less
interesting and can omitted in a first reading.

--
Robert Hill

University Computing Service, Leeds University, England

"Though all my wares be trash, the heart is true."
- John Dowland, Fine Knacks for Ladies (1600)