Re: BibTeX entries for standards (ISO, ANSI etc.)

Abdulla Masud

Nov 28, 2022, 3:07:29 PM11/28/22
On Monday, April 3, 2000 at 1:00:00 PM UTC+6, David Stone wrote:
> Are there any widely accepted conventions for BibTeX entries for
> ISO/ANSI/ITU/IEEE/... standards? These documents don't really fit
> into any of the "standard" BibTeX forms, so far as I can see. I'm not
> even sure which entry type is best: Techreport, Book, Manual, Misc?
> I'd prefer to settle on a form as close as possible to "standard"
> BibTeX; though I can hack a .bst file if I have to, I'm not an expert
> at it, and besides it makes it harder to share BibTeX entries.
> I have checked the Chicago Manual of Style, and it doesn't seem to
> mention the general typographical rules for citing standards, either.
> A web search doesn't come up with anything easily.
> I have found one bibliography of standards in CTAN, at
> http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/bib/standard.html. Here is an
> example from there:
> @Book{IEEE:POSIX.1-90,
> key = "POSIX.1-90",
> title = "System Application Program Interface ({API}) [C
> Language]",
> publisher = pub-IEEE,
> address = pub-IEEE:adr,
> year = "1990",
> series = "Information technology---Portable Operating System
> Interface ({POSIX})",
> ISBN = "1-55937-061-0",
> LCCN = "90-084554",
> ISO-standard-number = "ISO/IEC 9945-1: 1990",
> IEEE-standard-number = "IEEE Std 1003.1-1990",
> acknowledgement = ack-kb,
> }
> This relies on non-"standard" fields being supported in the
> bibliography style (ISO-standard-number, IEEE-standard-number, as well
> as the more widely useful ISBN, LCCN).
> An example from one of my own bibliographies, showing how I currently
> cope with the issue:
> @techreport{iec:61508,
> author = "{IEC} {SC}~{65A}",
> title = "Functional safety of electrical/electronic/programmable
> electronic safety-related systems",
> number = "IEC 61508",
> institution = "The International Electrotechnical Commission",
> year = 1998,
> address = "3, rue de Varemb{\'{e}}, Case postale 131,
> CH-1211 Gen{\`{e}}ve 20, Switzerland",
> annote = "In several parts: 1: General requirements, 3: Software
> requirements, 4: Definitions and abbreviations, 5: Examples of
> methods for the determination of safety integrity levels; others to
> appear."
> }
> Thanks for any hints,
> --
> David Stone <david...@cambridge.simoco.com>
> Sent by courtesy of, but not an official communication from:
> Simoco Europe, P.O.Box 24, St Andrews Rd, CAMBRIDGE, CB4 1DP, UK

This may help: https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/65637/how-to-cite-a-standard-iso-etc-in-biblatex

Peter Flynn

Nov 28, 2022, 6:20:01 PM11/28/22
On Monday, April 3, 2000 at 1:00:00 PM UTC+6, David Stone wrote:
> Are there any widely accepted conventions for BibTeX entries for
> ISO/ANSI/ITU/IEEE/... standards?

The biblatex doc says it provides for the doctype '@standard' but
provides no other information.

> These documents don't really fit
> into any of the "standard" BibTeX forms, so far as I can see. I'm not
> even sure which entry type is best: Techreport, Book, Manual, Misc?

I cited a few standards in my thesis, and used @techreport, but made up
my own format, eg

@techreport{isodata,
author = {{ISO JTC 1/SC 32}},
shortauthor = {{ISOJTC1/SC32}},
title = {{Specification and Standardization of Data Elements}},
shorttitle = {{ISO 11179:1997}},
institution = {International Organization for Standardization},
address = {Geneva},
year = {1997}
}

(The double curly braces are to stop interference from well-meaning but
essentially ignorant capitalisation routines.)

> I'd prefer to settle on a form as close as possible to "standard"
> BibTeX; though I can hack a .bst file if I have to,

Don't. Use biblatex and biber. It's much easier.

> I have found one bibliography of standards in CTAN, at
> http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/bib/standard.html.

This is Nelson Beebe being more thorough than anyone else. He does a
wonderful job.

On 28/11/2022 20:07, Abdulla Masud wrote:
> This may help: https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/65637/how-to-cite-a-standard-iso-etc-in-biblatex

That looks like a very good starting-point.

Peter

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum

Nov 29, 2022, 3:12:30 AM11/29/22
In article <20726ccd-c2b1-41c3...@googlegroups.com>,
abdulla...@gmail.com says...

> On Monday, April 3, 2000 at 1:00:00 PM UTC+6, David Stone wrote:
> > Are there any widely accepted conventions for BibTeX entries for
> > ISO/ANSI/ITU/IEEE/... standards?

https://www.ctan.org/search?phrase=din1505 provides a bib-style that
cites many document types according to the German DIN 1505-2:1984-01
standard. Caveats:
-The documentation is in German
-this standard was replaced by DIN ISO 690:2013-10. I am not aware of
any bib-style implementing that.

Peter Flynn

Nov 29, 2022, 7:27:13 AM11/29/22
On 28/11/2022 20:07, Abdulla Masud wrote:
> On Monday, April 3, 2000 at 1:00:00 PM UTC+6, David Stone wrote:
>> Are there any widely accepted conventions for BibTeX entries for
>> ISO/ANSI/ITU/IEEE/... standards? These documents don't really fit
>> into any of the "standard" BibTeX forms, so far as I can see.

There isn't really anything special about standards except their
authority. They all have:

number
official designation
title